10. Don't Lie To Me

"Are you stupid?"

     "You know, I've heard that phrase a lot in the last 24 hours."

     "Haewon."

     "Right. Sorry."

I've only been this anxious twice in my life.

The first happened a couple of years after Chan and I met. His family was back in Australia at that point, and I remember how he begged to stay, eventually managing to convince them to let him live with his grandparents.

"Can you stop that?" I whined, leaning out as Chan danced out of my reach.

He walked facing me, dimples showing as he looked at the pout on my face. He leaned forward so our noses were almost touching. "Aww, what's wrong my lovely Haewon?"

I reached for his hand and he quickly jumped out of the way again, laughing as he did.

"Stoppppp!" I dragged out, stomping my feet against the pavement. A couple of other students looked my way as they walked, making me blush behind my hair.

Chan stopped, teasingly putting a fist under his chin and pretending to think. "No, you got to tell me what's wrong first."

I groaned before crossing my arms over my chest. "You know exactly what's wrong!"

He sucked in a quick breath as he tilted his head. "Do I though?"

I just stared at him as I tried to brush the hair out of my eyes, with him trying not to smile as he watched. My eyes flitted to his fist, which I knew was holding something of mine.

He had stolen my clip, and now my hair was a mess.

I tried to blow the hair out of my face only for a few strands to move. This is what I get for trying to grow out my fringe.

I held out my hand. "Chan please, I need that."

He walked closer, his expression still that dumb, dimpled smile. "No, you look cute. It's mine now!" He said, ruffling my hair as I scrunched up my face. I then watched in horror as he took my clip, my beautiful butterfly clip, and stuck it loosely in the hair across his forehead.

He pointed at my pink butterfly. "See? Mine."

I stuck out my tongue as he turned around, starting to walk forward. How dare he? First my scruchies, then my pens, and now my favorite clip? What would be next?

He stuck his hands in his pockets and I made up my mind.

I was getting my clip back.

I quickly caught up to him, grabbed the clip, and sprinted.

I laughed as I heard footsteps immediately start behind me, my hair whipping in the wind as I ran, the butterfly grasped tightly in my hand. Other students turned as we raced through the courtyard. I saw their mouths move but I couldn't hear them over the sound of Chan and I's combined laughter as he chased me across the grass.

Finally, his arms circled around my waist as he lifted me of the ground. "Caught you!" He exclaimed, easily taking the clip from my hand.

I immediately leapt for it, which only made the Australian raise the thing way over his head. I scowled as I tried to use his shoulder for leverage and still failed.

We were so focused on each other that neither of us realized just who we were near.

So when Chan took a step backwards, we didn't expect him to bump into a much bigger boy.