Chapter 3

"They killed him?" Amber's voice broke as she clarified what Chris had said.

"YES! Those freaks killed him, ripped his throat out right in front of me! Then they started slaughtering all the students!" Chris shouted as he stepped forward and away from the door. He walked through the crowd, leaving a few bloody footprints in his wake.

"We need to get out, if we don't then we're just going to be sitting ducks, waiting to be slaughtered." Chris sounded calmer now, but still scared.

"Now now, the first thing we need to do is calm down." The teacher tried again to regain control of her panicked students.

CRASH

The room fell silent again, Amber took a few steps towards Chris and away from the door.

"You...you locked that door again...right?" Abby's voice came out barely above a whisper. The teacher simply turned to look at her before a loud slamming noise snatched their attention again. The gym door flung open and what entered...was something out of a nightmare.

It looked like a man, maybe 25-30 years old, but he looked...wrong. His eyes were so bloodshot that Amber could hardly see any white in his eyes at all. His iris' looked faded and pale, and there were black veins creeping up his face and down his arms. It was like his blood had turned black. He leaned forward in a primal stance and let out a distorted, gutteral scream before lunging towards the nearest body. A tall redhead, Amber had forgotten her name. The student screamed as the man barrelled into her and sent her to the ground before her scream was cut off by the man tearing into her throat with his teeth. The girl's eyes stayed wide and frantic, even as her body laid still. The crazed man lifted his head slowly, a chunk of bloody meat hanging from his mouth and he growled. At that moment, two more people looking similar to the crazed man ran in, then two more.

Then all hell broke loose.

Amber felt a hand clasp around her wrist and she was dragged to the other end of the gym. Her eyes were ripped away from the visceral sight as Abby shoved her shoulder to get her running. She looked ahead of her to see that Chris was the one who grabbed her wrist. Amber ran, trying to block out the sounds of screaming and visceral crunching and tearing. The next thing she knew she was in the storage closet of the gym, tucked away next to the bleachers. Abby sat down on the floor next to a short pile of gymnastics mats. She was trembling and rocking back and forth, Chris crouched down in front of her and attempted to calm her down while Amber paced next to them.

"What the fuck is happening!" Abby shouted, her voice breaking.

"I think you would be wise to lower your voice." Amber responded quietly, not wanting to be discovered.

"Okay...okay I'm sorry, I'm just so fucking scared. What are we gonna do?" Abby lowered her voice to just above a whisper.

Amber thought for a moment, "Okay, this closet connects the gymnasium with the weight room, which has a door to outside. If we're quiet and don't draw any attention, we can get out. Then we go to my house, my dad has guns stashed in his room that we can use."

"Your dad has guns?" Chris spoke up again, taking care to keep his voice low.

"Of course he does, he's from Texas." Amber chuckled slightly before worry began to fill her again, where was her dad? Was he even alive?

"Alright, let's get a move on." Abby finally piped up again, her voice sounding more stable now.

"Hang on." Chris said before he stood up and reached behind Abby, he took three metal bats off the wall and passed one to each of the ladies and kept one for himself. "I don't know about you, but I'm not going down without putting up a fight."

The three nodded at each other before making their way down the narrow hallway that led to the weight room. Chris slowly cracked open the door and peeked through the crack, he saw two of those freaks...eating someone. He leaned back towards the girls and pointed into the room before holding up two fingers, then he pointed to his bat. The two girls nodded before Chris slowly opened the door the rest of the way, Amber followed him as he creeped up behind the two monsters as they enjoyed their meal. Chris raised his bat above his head as Amber followed his motions. They nodded at each other before bringing the bags down as hard as they could. Chris' bat crunched onto the skull of the monster in front of him, Amber however, wasn't as strong as Chris. She brought the bat down but the monster only fell down for a moment before frantically scrambling to its feet, seeing Amber and letting out a loud screech.

"SHIT!" Amber shouted as the creature lunged for her. Chris swung his bat a second time and slammed it into the monster's face before it could reach Amber. At that moment, the door to Amber's left burst open, three more monsters entered the room.

"GO! MOVE!" Chris shouted as he stepped forward, he swung his bat at one of them before a second one lunged at him. It sank his teeth into his arm and he screamed in pain.

"CHRIS!" Abby shouted in horror as she tried to step forward to assist him.

"NO! GO, RUN!" Chris shouted back through his pain before he was wrestled to the ground by the three monsters. The girls tore their eyes away from Chris before they heard the horrible sound of Chris' scream being cut off by a monster tearing out his throat with its teeth. The girls sprinted away and broke through the door leading outside, Amber slid her bat in the handles of the door to keep it shut.

"We can't just leave him!" Abby shouted through her tears.

"We don't have a choice! There's no one back there to save! He's dead, okay!? We need to go!" Amber shouted at her, her hands still holding the doorhandles.

"Holy...shit..." Abby's voice caused Amber to look towards her. Amber could now see the dark smoke rising in plumes over the tree lines, horns blaring, distant screams and gunshots piping up every now and then.

"Everything was fine an hour ago...what the hell happened?" Abby's voice was quiet and frightened.

"I don't know, but we just need to focus on getting to my house, and hope it hasn't been looted already. Don't worry I know a path through the woods, with some luck, we'll make it there." Amber sounded confident, but she was terrified. She had taken after her father and learned to do the scary thing first, then get scared after.

The girls began walking, away from her school, her friends, and her old life.

And into the wild.