003. come alive

"We-- We-- We're here on vacation!" exclaimed Reggie.

Julie was so shocked when she backtracked she accidentally bumped into Luke and tripped onto the ground.

He immediately went to help her up. "You okay, Jules?"

She nodded and forced herself to take his hand to help her reach stability again. "Yeah. Thanks, Luke."

Julie then looked over at Flynn who was glaring at Reggie. Alex was doing the same. Luke seemed particularly unbothered, almost like he had missed Reggie's comment entirely.

"Dad," said Julie, "they're not actually here on vacation. They're... They're..."

"They're ghosts," Flynn interrupted. Julie flashed her a grateful smile for being the ones to spill the beans.

Ray laughed and shook his head. "That's funny, Julie. What are the boys actually doing here? When did they get in?"

"No, I'm serious, Mr. Molina," said Flynn. "I mean... I'm not so sure they're ghosts now, but they have been the entire time."

She glanced over at Julie. "Jules, do you wanna add anything?"

"They... they died here a while back," said Julie. "I didn't know until they just kinda... appeared. I don't know if you remember when I came out of the studio screaming that there was a ghost, but that's the night I first met them."

Ray shook his head. "I'm serious, Julie."

"So am I, Dad," said Julie. She turned to Flynn. "Do you have your phone on you?"

Flynn nodded and pulled it out. She quickly typed in 'Sunset Curve' and the same article that Julie had seen the night she first met the boys popped up.

"Here you go, Mr. Molina," Flynn said, handing him the phone.

As Ray looked at the phone, Julie told him, "They died... in here... and I guess Mom knew them somehow because she had a shirt in her old trunk."

Ray handed Flynn's phone back to her and walked up to the boys. "How long have you three been around?" He interrogated.

"Uhh... since Julie made us come back as ghosts," Alex answered nervously.

Julie gave them a look that screamed Really? I made you come back as ghosts? "I think you're making them nervous, Dad."

"Not now, Julie. I'm talking to the boys," Ray told his daughter.

"Ray, please!" exclaimed Reggie. "We wanted to tell you, but it would've gotten too complicated! And-- And-- And last night we found out that we were able to touch people and this morning, people can see us when we're not playing! We-- We never meant to make bad decisions, Ray! You're our best friend!"

"I am not your best friend," Ray told Reggie. "You are in my daughter's band, and only God knows what kind of things you do when no one else is around!"

Reggie's eyes began to well with tears. Alex pulled him back from Ray. "We're sorry, Ray," said Alex. "Reg is a really big fan of yours, and when you couldn't see us, he really took a liking to you."

Ray narrowed his eyes at Reggie. "You were haunting me?"

Reggie frowned as a single tear struck his cheek. "Yes-- I mean, no. I-- I don't know. I just liked you. You're funny and take care of your family. None of our parents really cared about us like you care about Julie and Carlos."

Ray then turned his attention toward Luke. "What's your story?"

"I'm-- I'm with them," said Luke. "We died by eating some really really bad hotdogs."

Ray then turned around back to his daughter. "Julie, why didn't you tell me about them? And how long they've been here? We could have sent them to their parents."

"I'm sorry, Dad. I really didn't think you'd believe me," said Julie. "And did you hear Reggie? They don't... They don't really have anyone like that left. We're all they have, Dad, and they're my bandmates. I couldn't just leave them stranded... And honestly, I just didn't think you'd believe me."

Ray nodded. "I'm sorry you felt like you couldn't tell me, Julie. No secrets from now on." He turned back to the boys. "And that includes you three."

He frowned as he turned to Flynn. "You really couldn't see them or touch them until last night?"

"This morning," corrected Flynn. "Jules was the first one to hug any of them. We came out here just a little while ago to try to... figure things out."

"Dad?" asked Julie.

"Yes, honey?" answered Ray.

"So... can the guys stay?" asked Julie.

Ray let out a reluctant sigh. "Because you said they don't have anyone or anywhere else, yes."

"AW! THANK YOU RAY!" Reggie exclaimed as he ran over to Julie's dad and smothered him in a humongous bear hug.

"Alright, alright! Let go, Reginald! Just because you can stay in the studio does not mean that we're on a family and first-name basis," said Ray.

"So... how exactly is this gonna work?" asked Alex. "Are you going to give us like curfews or restrictions about how late we can be out? Or where we can go?"

"No, no, no, no," said Ray. "The rules are simple. You're all going to school with Julie and will come back here after." He looked at Julie and said, "No boys in your room."

"I don't care how long you stay up," said Ray, "as long as it doesn't disturb anyone else. You can come inside the house as you please, but like I said, no going into Julie's room. I have the same standards for you guys that I have for Julie. Keep your grades up or the band goes away."

"Aww, no, Ray, please don't make us go back to school!" exclaimed Reggie.

"Yeah, man, please," Luke agreed. "We all struggled when we were alive the first time, and everything became a chaotic mess."

"I don't usually agree with them," commented Alex, "but I have to on this one. School was absolutely horrible for us."

Ray shook his head. "That's too bad. At least this time, you'll have Julie and Flynn to help you all out."

"Oh, no," Flynn said, backing towards the door, "Don't be dragging me into this."

Ray shook his head once more. "You knew about the boys for almost as long as Julie did, so you'll have to help out with them too."

"Ugh," Flynn groaned. "Just when I thought I was gonna be able to get out of this."

"It's okay, Flynn!" exclaimed Reggie. "You can introduce us to all the hot chicks at your school!"

Flynn stared over at him judgementally. "Yeah, I'm definitely not doing that."

Ray then turned to his daughter. "I have to go do some work, but I'll be back to talk to the boys later. I want to learn more about them."

Julie smiled and hugged her dad. "Thanks, Dad. You're the best."

"Oh, I'm also going to tell Carlos," said Ray, "so if he comes out here all excited, you know why."

"Oh... I don't think you're going to have to do that," said Julie.

"Does he already know?" asked Ray.

Julie shrugged. "Luke said he came in here before we left for the Orpheum and confronted them, so I guess he already found out on his own."

Ray shook his head with a smile. "That boy will never cease to surprise me."

"I love you, Dad," said Julie. "Thank you."

"Anything for you, Julie," Ray said with a smile.