Chapter 1

Welcome to the wonderful tales of my life's shit. It all started with a scream and an apology. And it all finished with a guilty plea. That's how my father got sent to jail. And my brothers trial was not much different other than a few she deserved it and I don't regret it. I think that's the only thing that separated my fathers trial from my brothers. My father regretted his crime. My brother did not. In fact every time I visit him he checks with me to make sure that that pretty blonde headed girl hasn't started with me again. Luckily for me and for her she hasn't. Don't take it that way. Yes I can stand up for myself. But when she starts chasing me home with scissors in her hand I'm not gonna stand there and watch her attack me. I'm gonna run back to my house. And hope at least one of my older brothers or their friends are home. That day thankfully it was my oldest brother and a good few of his friends. That girl didn't stand a chance and was wiped out with in a minute. And stabbed a good 8 times. No no she didn't die. My brother was to skilled to let that happen. All she needed was a few stitches and some therapy sessions. Do I regret running back home to my brother. Not a fucking second. Anyway let's stop talking about my past and start talking about my present.

I'm in maths class right now and let me tell you i am bored out of my mind. My brothers don't go to school anymore they flunked out and well they never got on with it anyway. Me however I get forced to come in every day. If it's not by them it's by Nikita. Or by Natasha. Or even by Malik. It's funny how much power someone behind bars can have. But when I go into school I know Izaiah is in nursery and that's all that matters. Some people say I grew up too fast living in the situations I do and it's not that I don't agree with them but it's that I don't care. It's the new normal for me. I still get fed even if it's not much and I still get to shower even if it's not warm. My life may not be perfect but it's certainly not bad.
"LYRIC! LYRIC! EARTH TO LYRIC!"
"What? Oh sorry." I say to my teacher.
"Sorry is not good enough Lyric you have been in this class since September and the only words you have written in your book is the date. Everyone else is on there 3rd book and your not even 5 pages though your first one. Go to the headteachers office!" He shouts.
"Whatever." I say as I grab my stuff chuck it in my bag and head out.
"Parris! Out." One of my other teachers shout as she holds out a bin. I spit my chewing up into the bin and carry on walking to the office. When I get there I knock 3 times on the door and when I hear a come in I enter.
"Lyric Parris. Sent from Maths 1 Mr Samuel." I say to my headteacher.
"Oh lyric of course. Sit down." He says.
I sit down and fling my backpack onto the floor.
"What happened this time?" He says as he takes a sip of his coffee and looks at a file. Presumable mine or someone in my families.
"Daydreaming. Ignoring. Work minority." I say.
"Normal offences."
"Yep."
"Okay. As it's the third time this week and it's only a Tuesday I am required to ask for a guardian over 18 to come and sign you out." He says yawning.
"My brothers 18. He's been looking after me." I say.
"I'm afraid that will not do. I need someone over 18. A parent maybe?" He says.
"That can't be possible. My dad is behind bars and I do not have a mother." I state. I don't talk this way normally but if I don't talk all formal with this headteacher ima get more and more punishments and I just can't be bothered with it.
"I see I see. Any siblings over the age of 18." He asks.
"Yeah I have three. Ones in America. Ones in Prison. And the other one I'm not sure where she is. She's travelling with her football team but if I call her?" I ask.
"Yes call her."
"So can i use my phone?" I ask cautiously not wanting to get it taken off me.
"Yes."
I take my phone out of my pocket and press on my sisters contact.

"Hello?" The oh so familiar voice on the other end says.
"Hey."

"Lyric? Is that you?"

"Yep. Hey sis how's it going?"

"All good but I'm sure that's not the reason your calling to ask how it's going."

"Uhm yeah. Ha where are you right now?"

"I'm out for dinner with the lionesses. You know the England team."

"Yeah yeah I know. Where though?"

"To be fair it only seems around half an hour from the house."

"My house or your house?"

"Your house why? Lyric what's going on?"

"I'm in my headteachers office right now and he's only accepting a family member over 18 to come pick me up."

"I'm on my way. When I'm there we will talk about why your in your headteachers office in the first place."