Chapter 3

"WE ARE NOT FUCKING GOING! WE'RE STAYING HERE!"

Turns out those cops didn't just come and knock on the door because of the number of cars in the driveway. They came and knocked on the door to take me and Izaiah away.
"Lyric. You have to come with us. This environment is unsafe and unliveable." One of the white men say.
"YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN ABOUT ME OR MY ENVIRONMENT! ME AND MY BROTHER ARE STAYING HERE!" I yell. The cop tries to grab me but dapper starts barking and scares him off.
"Control the dog." He says.
"HES ONLY BARKING CUZ YOU TRIED TO FUCKING GRAB ME!" This is when Jahari comes up to me.
"Lyric he's right. This environment isn't right for you or Izaiah. Go with them. You can still visit us." He says and I shake my head. I start to cry.
"IM NOT GOING! I LIVE HERE THIS IS MY HOME! MY FUCKING HOME!" I'm crying. My younger brothers crying. My dogs barking. Two of my older brothers are shouting. One of my older brothers is reasoning. Neighbours are filming. The police are fed up. That's when a black woman comes over to me and sits next to me.
"Hi I'm Holly." She says to me.

"Lyric."

"I've heard you don't want to leave your home."

"Why would I want to fucking leave my home?"

"Because you and your brother are unsafe here. I know you feel safe but you are not."

"I never said I felt safe."

"I'm sorry. Why don't you want to leave then?"

"It's my fucking home. I grew up here. I know these ends more then I know my own father. I know these ends more then I know my own mother. This might not be safe but it's mine. If I get forced to leave nothing will be mine anymore. Not one fucking thing. And that's not happening to me! I don't need new family. I've got the best family in the world. Fuck it my brother got arrested protecting me! Do you not know what that feels like!" I say.

"I'm not gonna lie to you and say I understand. Because I do not. Lyric just because you come with us doesn't mean you will never get to see your brothers again."

"It's not just my brothers!"

"What is it?"

"My fucking dog! Malik gave him me just before he got arrested. He knew it was unsafe here. And without him around. Dapper keeps me safe Dapper keeps Izaiah safe. We don't need another fucking human to do that!"

"I understand your upset and I can talk with the police. You can take Dapper
with you."

"You promise."

"I promise."

"Fine. I'll go. We'll go."

"Thank you lyric."