Always Trust Your Gut

Lesson One

The next morning Sunghoon wakes up to knocking on his apartment door. He groans, annoyed, and goes to answer it, grumblingto the door "What have I done?" He asks before opening the door, behind it stands a little boy, he has to be at least 8 or 9.

He holds a roll of paper towels in his hands and next to him were several more rolls. "It's too early in the morning, kid. Where are your parents ?" Sunghoon asks rubbing his eyes and yawning "Go home"

"I don't know where my parents are" the boy says, waking Sunghoon up quite a bit. "Where did you come from?" Sunghoon asks skeptically. "I think Japan" the little boy says, he tilts his head in thought

"Why are you here? You should go home, your caregiver is probably waiting and worried about you" Sunghoon tries again but the kid doesn't budge, instead he pushes the paper towels toward Sunghoon. "I am home, I live here"

"What's the paper towels?" Sunghoon asks. "I accidentally bought too many and so I decided share because sharing is caring, right? Please praise me" the kid says but Sunghoon could hardly contain his eye roll, let alone praise him.

Sunghoon sighs, stepping out of his apartment and closing the door behind him "Who do you live here with, Kid?" Sunghoon asks. "I don't have a caregiver. I live alone" the kid says, making Sunghoon's eye bulge. "Wha-Whats your name?"

"Call me Ni-ki, please" the kid smiles brightly.

"I would like to ask you to watch over my client in my absence. He's pretty self sufficient for his age but  he's still a child and I'll be back to give him his weekly allowance-" This Lawyer Kim starts explaining but Sunghoon cuts him off.

"Wait, wait, wait. No. Why would I do this?" Sunghoon asks "Backtrack, what do you mean 'he's still a child'?" "Mr. Sunghoon. My client's name is Nishimura Riki but he prefers to be called Ni-ki, he will be living next door to you from now on"

"Ni-ki is 5 years old" Lawyer Kim finishes.

Sunghoon doesn't even want to dive into the question of how a five year old can rent an apartment alone, it is none of his business if he knows this guy claiming to be a lawyer is sketchy. It is none of his business.

"No. Even if I believed you, I don't do children..." Sunghoon starts heading inside, but the sketchy Kim guy stops him by grabbing his arm. He starts to free himself when they lock eyes.

"Please reconsider, Mr. Sunghoon. Ni-ki is good kid, I'm sure that he won't be much of a problem to check on" the sketchy guy pleads but Sunghoon rips his arm away.

"I said no, didn't I? No. I won't do it"

Sunghoon looks at the boy in front of him, from his head to toe, he couldn't believe it, there was no way... "You're five?" Sunghoon asks and Niki nods his head proudly as he smiles "Uh huh"

What the hell did they feed him? How is he only 5?!

Sunghoon bit his lip before snatching the paper towels from Ni-ki "Thanks, now go home" Sunghoon says quickly but Niki stops him "But Mister...?" Sunghoon slowly turns to the boy again. "Yes..."