Chapter XLI

Chapter XLI
A Deafening Silence

“I’m afraid we cannot do anything about it anymore, High Priest.” The physician, who just examined Leo, faced us with a gloom hinted on his voice.

He was the 9th physician in the temple who checked on Leo and gave the same diagnosis. They said the lion would have no more chance to survive.

Upon hearing it for the 9th time, my heart broke into pieces. Oh, poor Leo. He shouldn't have suffered like this. He was innocent like an angel who did nothing but ask for belly rubs.

What cruelty could’ve they done to turn him on this state?

I stepped closer to the rectangular boulder where Leo was fighting for his own life, and reached his injured paw. He was already given first-aid earlier and the deep wounds all over his body were also cleaned. And yet…

“Are you sure there's no other way?” I bit my lower lip, hopeful.

“Hesperia,” Asim whispered behind me, “let’s accept it… They already did their very best to save him.”

I know that but wouldn't it be wrong to hope?

“In all honesty, we hadn't treated a lion before,” one admitted. “We might’ve treated the injuries but… the lion had already lost many blood. It has been bleeding excessively even before it arrived here… it’s also barely breathing.”

The longer he explained, the more hopeless it seemed for Leo to fully recovery. I couldn't bear the thought that an innocent animal would die like this. I cannot accept it.

I know I shouldn't do this but…

“Asim,” I called, still my eyes fixated upon the unconscious lion. “Can you please ask them to leave for awhile?” I made sure that my voice was low enough for anyone but him to hear.

“Okay… but why?”

I heaved a sigh, gasping a heap of courage in my lungs, and said firmly. “I’ll take my last shot to save Leo, Asim. But I want to do it without audience... Can you make that possible?”

I’ve been trying to practice the healing power lately, but I wasn't a hundred percent sure that it would work with big animals with huge, deep wounds. Plus, I figured my energy incredibly reduces whenever I channel this power.

Using it now might risk my well-being. But that seemed not to matter now that Leo is in front of me in the brink of death.

“Sure. I got you.”

Once I was alone inside the room with Leo, my hands gently rested over his body and I shut my eyes briefly, gasping a short, deep breath.

Please help me save him.

I imagined the healing power coursed through my veins, feeling it travel across my body. Eventually, I directed all the divine power down my arms, gathering it in my palms until a brilliant light emitted from my hands, filling the room with luminous aura.

You need to stay alive and get better, Leo.

As the radiant force continued to wrap around Leo, a sense of awe washed over me. The wounds and injuries that marred his body vanished in thin-air.

I smiled in relief.

It worked, didn't it?

My knees wobbled in exhaustion, as if my strength just sucked out of me. i clutched the edge of the boulder to keep my balance. That was the moment the door made a series of knocking sounds and eventually Asim entered.

“Hesperia, are you okay?” He approached me and went to my side.

“Asim…” I breathed heavily. “Can you check on him?” There were no more trace of injuries and wounds but I still wanted to be sure.