CHAPTER 24 : BELOVED PAIN

Note : If you like listen to Say Goodbye by Kim Na Young while reading. It's the theme song of this story, very compatible.
____________________

Mina's POV

"Mina"

I heard a familiar voice while I'm crying.

"Minari"

I heard it again so I decided to open my eyes and find where the voice is coming from.

There she is. Standing in front of me once again.
Is this true or am I having delusions?

"Minari, it's me. I know you have a lot of questions in your head but can I have a hug at least?" Chaeyoung said and then opens her arms inviting me for a hug.

I don't know if it's real but I run toward her and allow myself to be embraced by her and cry. We stayed in that position for a few minutes and then she breaks the hug.

"Minari, I'm here to tell you everything and to help you to accept the truth" She said looking intently into my eyes.

"What do you mean? Chaeng, you are alive right? What we did is not fake. I'm not delusional"

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath before saying the words that shatter my world.

"Mina, I was made by your unconscious mind, therefore the moment your consciousness already remembers me, I will be gone"

I am confused. "What do you mean Chaeyoung? What are you saying?" I ask her and then she holds my hands.

"Listen carefully Mina, okay?" She said and holds my face. I nod in response.

"Because of too much pain, your mind forgets and because of too much love, your heart remembers"

"Three years ago, when Nayeon unnie told you that I am dead, you suffered from too much pain. Your mind and heart can't accept the truth or rather don't want to accept reality. You got into an accident after you heard the heartbreaking news and your head was damaged it's not severe but when you woke up, you already forgot about me. It's not because of the accident but because of pain.

The huge amount of pain drives your mind to forget me.

Nayeon unnie and the others thought that it will be the best for you. They thought that forgetting me will help me to move on that's why they hide everything about me and anything related to me. They didn't tell you who I am to save you but that was the biggest mistake they made because for you to move on you need to accept the truth, Mina.

Because of the strong love you have for me and the strong desire of your heart to see me again, your unconscious self created an illusion. It happened the night of April 23rd.

The huge amount of love drives your heart to remember me.

And the only thing for you to free yourself is to accept the truth in your mind and heart but no one dares to tell you, that's why I did it myself, Mina. I helped you to remember me because I can't directly say it to you, it needs to be done by other people. I helped you even though the consequence is I will be gone.

It's just you who can see me Mina that's why Jackson, the ice cream vendor, and the people in the Han River and arcade looked at us in different ways.

The kid in the Han River, Heejin, can see and talk to me because she is another illusion made by you. Your desire to have a family with me drives you to create the kid. You want to have a family with me but unfortunately, it will never happen. Heejin is the name you wanted for our child.

The night when you are nearly harassed, I managed to touch the guy because the strong desire in your heart increased more than usual.

Mina, it's time for you to accept the truth. Free yourself from me, from the pain and misery, please"

She said holding my face and her tears are falling like the rain.

"No, no, Chaeyoung, I don't mind you being an illusion, I don't care don't leave me, please!" I beg holding her hands.

"Mina, listen to me, okay?"

"No, Chaeyoung, I don't want to listen to you anymore! Stop talking please!" I sob.

"Mina please! You need to move on from me! You need to free yourself!" She raised her voice.

"No! Chaeyoung I can't! I can't because I LOVE YOU! I love you Chaeng, I don't want you to leave! Please Chaeyoung, please" I hug her tighter as I cry so hard.
"Don't leave me Chaeng"

I noticed something while embracing her. She is now transparent and gradually fading.

"Chaeng what's happening to you? What's going on?!" I panic.

"Mina, Minari, please look at me" She said and holds my face intently.

"I love you too, Mina, Hmm? Always remember that, okay? I will do anything and everything for you. Your happiness and well-being are my priority" She said. We're bawling so hard.

"Mina, don't be hard-headed okay? Obey what I say. It's for you" She said and I can feel her lips trembling and her hands shaking.

"Do me a favor, okay? Free yourself from pain and misery. Free yourself from me. Move on Mina" She said. "My love for you will stay forever. You will always be loved by me Minari. Hmm?"

"No, Chaeng, I-I can't, please"

"You need to Minari, you have to"

After she said those words, she kissed me. We shared a passionate kiss while crying our hearts out.

I can't feel her body anymore. She's fading and before she's completely gone she managed to utter her last words.

"I love you Mina, always and forever"

After that when I open my eyes, she was nowhere to be found. She disappeared in my arms.

"C-Chaeng?" I call her.

"Chaeyoung!!!" I shout searching for her.

"CHAEYOUNG!!!" I cry.

She's gone. She's gone forever.

Because of the pain, my mind forgets her and because of my love, my heart remembers.

The huge amount of pain drives my mind to forget and the huge amount of love drives my heart to remember.

When I forget about her she's here and then when I remember her she disappeared.

Am I under a curse of contradiction? I guess I am.