twenty three

winter // twenty three

❄❄❄❄

Harry is waiting outside when Lena finishes her biology exam.

He's leaning against a wall, hair tied up in a bun, bright red balloon in one hand and Cass on a leash in the other. The collar of his shirt is stretched out. It shows off his collarbones and tattoos well. He looks really good. When he sees Lena walking towards him, he flushes pink and bites down on a smile that's already spread to his cheeks. She loves him more than she hates biology.

"Hey," Lena says. She feels small and dumb and silly. After an afternoon of crying over an exam, she would like nothing more than to keep crying. Harry looks sympathetic. "What're you doing here?"

"I brought you a balloon to celebrate," Harry says.

"Why? Because you knew that I'd blow that test?"

"Because I was hoping you'd blow me."

"These puns are kind of hard to swallow," she deadpans.

Harry blinks. "Oh my god, kiss me."

"No, don't do that," Lena frowns. "Let me be in a bad mood."

Harry pouts. "Honestly, Lena, what kind of person doesn't kiss their boyfriend?"

"Someone who thinks balloon and blowjob puns shouldn't be rewarded with a kiss?"

"Oh, so you mean like a loser?"

"No, I mean like the person who's controlling whether or not you get laid tonight."

Harry pouts even harder. "Kiss me," he repeats.

Lena sighs, hopelessly smitten. She's helpless in the face of his curls and lips and weirdness. It's probably the most inconvenient thing to ever happen to her, falling in love with this hipster. "Okay."

Harry pulls Lena in close and kisses it all better. "You made it, baby. So stop being sad about school and let's celebrate summer."

He's right. She made it. They all made it, sort of. Lena and her hopeless, ridiculous, wonderful friends made it through a year of uni by burning things, eating tacos at least four times a week, and never actually figuring out what they really want to do with their lives, and so obviously it's time to salute their successes and begin summer.

"It's like Pax Romana until school starts again."

Harry chuckles into Lena's ear. "Puns and historical references? How did I get so lucky?"

"Zayn," Lena murmurs into his shoulder, face burning.

"I like you, Lena Lawrence. You made this probably the best year of my life. I mean, I don't actually remember the first five, but I'm pretty sure they weren't this great."

"You should've rhyme great and celebrate," says Lena. Harry nods, nosing at her cheek.

"Always rhyme when possible." He pulls away. He's trying to look unaffected but he just looks pleased and sort of flattered instead. It's really sweet. Lena wants to kiss him again. Harry hands her the red balloon. "You're great and I want to celebrate and maybe ejaculate. Let's not procrastinate because I can't wait. Don't let the balloon deflate."

"It's a date."

❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

When Lena and Harry get back to flat 4B, the message board reads 'fight to the death winner gets to be the next kool-aid man: zayner vs nail' which Lena knew was probably a disaster in the first place, but she definitely wasn't expecting whatever the hell this is.