sixteen

winter // sixteen

❄❄❄❄

❄ L ❄

Lena wakes up curled around Niall, a hangover rattling her skull, with no Harry pressed up behind her to fight off the cold. There is a blow up palm tree sitting on the floor in front of her, a feather boa around her neck, and what seems to be a very small puppy curled up at the foot of the bed.

Oh, shit. Lena suddenly gets visions from last night: Zayn licking icing off Liam's face, body shots off of Harry, singing karaoke with four random girls. Also, she's pretty sure she missed kissing Harry at midnight because he was quote "having a wee" endquote. Which. 

"What the fuck," Lena hisses, untangling herself from around Niall.

"Not 9 AM," he says into the pillow. "Shut your mouth."

She is fairly sure that rule doesn't apply when Niall is the one who decided it would be a good idea to pass out in the bed with the two people who wake up the earliest, but. It's a new year. It's probably good karma or something to be nice on the first, and god, karma, she's been around Harry way too long.

Also, there is a really cute unexplained puppy (?) at the end of the bed that she doesn't feel like disturbing. 

Quietly, Lena steals one of Harry's sweatshirts and a pair of probably Louis' Spiderman pajama bottoms off the ground, layering up before she exits the bedroom. Slow, sultry music is wafting down the hallway, along with a few soft voices and the sound of something frying.

There are a few leftovers who Lena vaguely recognizes lounging in the kitchen. Ed is up on the counter beside Liam, and Perrie is curled into a kitchen chair around another girl that is potentially either Jade or Jesy. Harry is bundled up in a blanket by the stove, slowly flipping whatever is in the pan.

"Good morning," Lena yawns. "Why is there a dog in our bed?"

Harry turns around, spatula in hand and hot pink apron on. He's all doe-eyed and red-lipped and cheeks flushed from the heat of the stove, and his eyes are bloodshot from either last night's alcohol or this morning's pot. "The little brown one?" 

"Is there another dog that is somewhere in your apartment?" Lena asks as she sidles up behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist as she peeks to see what he's cooking.

"No, Casserole is the only one I accidentally I adopted."

Lena chokes on air because first of all, Harry definitely just referred to the dog as Casserole and two, he definitely just said that he accidentally adopted a pet. If anyone could accidentally adopt a very cute puppy and then name it after a baked dish, it would be Harry, but still. That's not something Lena thought she would hear.

"Can you repeat that statement? I might still be drunk."

"I accidentally adopted Casserole last night," he shrugs. "Cass, for short. I wanted to name her Peanut but then Grimmy beat me in a limbo contest and made me name her Casserole. But that's kind of bullshit because he knows that I have a bad back and took advantage of me."

With a sigh, Lena drops her forehead against Harry's shoulder. "Harry, you can't accidentally just adopt pets."

"I know. But, like, she was so cute and stuff. I was just trying to be nice and pet her, but then somehow all of the sudden I was in the process of adoption and I couldn't just back out, Lena. I was practically already her adopted father."

Lena has a headache. It's either the hangover (even though she is fairly sure that she's just still drunk) or the fact that Harry fucking adopted a dog and it's name is Casserole. Probably the dog thing. On a different note, Harry smells really nice and freshly showered. Lena leans further into his side.