THE EIGHTH YEAR

A/N: This fanfic is for the Draco girlies who felt cheated out of a redemption arc. I've based this story's Draco on the one portrayed by Tom Felton. This fanfiction contains instances of strong language and hints at sexuality, but it is otherwise non-explicit. For legal reasons, anything recognizable belongs to J.K. Rowling. Also trans women are women.

A year after the Second Wizarding War, Harry, Ron, and Hermione decided to return to Hogwarts for their eighth year. It was Hermione's idea, mostly, but it was quite logical: the Ministry would never employ wizards who did not complete their schooling—even if they suffered PTSD from literal war.

In 1999, McGonagall was appointed headmistress, and she agreed to take Dumbledore's place in order to ensure that his name was upheld with respect. Horace Slughorn continued to teach potions, and Neville Longbottom snagged a teaching position in herbology after Pomona Sprout agreed to oversee him. With the jinx finally broken, Emilia Knotcrown, a retired Auror, agreed to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. The Minister of Magic was Kingsley Shacklebolt, and it seemed all was well as Harry, Ron, and Hermione received their timetables.

"I have potions on Tuesdays"—Harry winced—"with Slytherin." He did not look forward to the collision of worlds planned for tomorrow. Slytherins and Gryffindors hated each other on principle.

Ron clapped a supportively unsupportive hand to his shoulder, "I am so glad I'm not taking that this term."

"You're not? What about you, Hermione?" Harry asked her with hope in his heart.

"Of course I'm taking potions—same time as you. I also have Arithmancy, Defense, ancient runes, ancient studies, Transfiguration, astronomy, flying, history, charms, Muggle studies, magical theory. . ."

Harry and Ron exchanged looks of defeat, knowing she would have done exactly that—sign up for as many classes as she possibly could. She stopped listing off her subjects, seeing as a sudden silence fell upon both her friends. "What?"

Ron stared at her in bewilderment, "Bloody hell, 'Mione."

Hermione shrugged, "Well I took up ghoul studies this year, too."

"What's one more?" Harry proposed sarcastically, which was surprisingly not picked up on by Hermione.

"What about herbology? You know Nev is teaching it this year? Sprout agreed to mentor him."

"Oh, right. I thought I mentioned that one. . ." Hermione said, racking her brain, "I can't remember."

"Easy to forget when you're taking forty classes," Ron said.

Hermione rolled her eyes, "I have herbology on Wednesday mornings, 8 am. And you?" Ron and Harry groaned, knowing Hermione wouldn't be clipping overgrown weeds for them this year.

"We both have it at 10 am." Harry said, looking at Ron's schedule. Hermione snatched their timetables and compared them until a lightbulb went off in her head.

"We all have charms, history, and Transfiguration together—Oh! And Defense. That'll be fun!"

They chatted about their schedules and about how hungry they were—or at least Ron did—during the relatively brief sorting ceremony until McGonagall rose to the owl-crested podium and ushered in silence.

"Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is with great pleasure I relay our newest teaching staff: Horace Slughorn in potions, Neville Longbottom in herbology, Kathleen Winston in magical theory, Septabier Jewel in Muggle studies, Xavier Trents in alchemy, Gage Galahan in ghoul studies and Emilia Knotcrown, former Auror, in Defense Against the Dark Arts.