DEFENDING HOGWARTS

The audience of the classroom was small—students were excused from attending the presentation if they had another class to show up to. It made sense, but Harry was a little sad that Hermione wouldn't be able to see the result of their efforts.

Draco removed his blazer, mindful not to let the fragile phial of Liquid Luck slip from the inner pocket. He rolled up the sleeves of his white button-up shirt, revealing the remnants of his Dark Mark as he set up the cauldron. Whispers could be heard among the classroom from everyone besides Ginny, who sat in the front row. She smiled encouragingly at Harry as he began the presentation.

‭"‬The name Jarik Lowen dates back as far as Hogwarts itself‭," ‬Harry announced charismatically‭, "‬He was officially a wizard jeweler‭, ‬but his talents spanned many different fields‭, ‬including potion-making‭. ‬In his book‭,‬‭ ‬Experiments of the Sullen Wizard‭, ‬he details a cure for injuries created by dark magic‭."‬

Draco unraveled the rope coil of Thestral hair and added it to the potion. Any hint of anxiety that Harry saw earlier was gone from him. Draco no longer felt incapable. He fetched the powdered stalagmite rock they collected from Stump Cross cavern and sprinkled it over the lilac mixture as Harry spoke. They weren't able to prepare the cure in advance—the recipe emphasized how crucial it was to consume the potion within the hour of adding unicorn blood, lest the effects expire.

Harry continued, "For our assignment, we aimed to test the limits of magic. We know that almost any spell can be undone with a counter-spell, but dark magic isn't like that—it's more complicated. So, when we found the Cure for Dark Magic Wounds, we knew we had to try it. If it works the way it claims to, that would mean a fresh start . . . and a second chance for those who need it."

Harry smiled unknowingly at Draco as he got to work. He followed the instructions carefully, pouring the unicorn blood in a spiral motion. A puff of gray smoke erupted from the cauldron.

As the billows dissipated, Draco saw himself reflected in the potions's silver surface, like a makeshift mirror. Whether the result was due to his own talents or the influence of Felix Felicis, he didn't care—the potion was flawless. He suppressed his desire to jump up and down like Deja when she got excited.

The class seemed to look at the faces of other students before deciding how to react‭. ‬Of course‭, ‬they probably still saw Draco as a Death Eater—the same one that betrayed the school in the Wizarding War‭. ‬Some of them might have still believed the rumor about Draco's act of revenge—his intention of cursing the school‭. ‬They hadn't developed the same level of trust in him that Harry had‭. ‬

They were suspicious‭, ‬and rightfully so, considering none of them had even heard of Jarik Lowen or his Cure for Dark Magic Wounds‭. ‬

Harry hoped more‭ ‬than anything else in the world that Lowen's potion would be a success‭, ‬though he would never admit to such a hope being altruistic‭. ‬If anyone asked‭, ‬he intended to lie and say that he simply wanted a good grade‭. ‬Those who knew him best also knew that he‭ ‬went to extreme lengths to deny how much he cared for Draco‭, ‬though his actions proved otherwise‭.‬

As soon as Draco ladled the completed potion into a phial, the floor beneath them rumbled, causing the mirrored surface of the potion to ripple.

Draco shrugged at Harry with confusion plastered across his face, but they were equally perplexed—Harry didn't understand what had just happened. When the castle trembled again, it was much stronger than the first tremor. The class began to panic.

Just my luck, Harry thought.

Outside of the classroom, students started rushing into the lower level corridors of Hogwarts, in search of safety. The ground shook violently, and a cluster of seventh years crashed into one another like dominoes. Slughorn put down his quill and slip of parchment to tend to the frightened students, abandoning his post as a faculty spectator.