Birth of a Hero

Y/N Pov

What the hell is happening to me? I witnessed a murder yesterday. Why did I leave? I don't know what to do anymore. I'm always trying my best to be a good person. It's what my parents would have wanted me to do. 

"Y/N, you have to help people. It's the right thing to do. Even if you don't gain anything. If you have the power to help, at least try. With great power comes great responsibility, Y/N." (Italicized words mean memories or important things.)

I always tried to live up to their standards. But I always fail. Everyone has these expectations that I can't meet. Why? Why am I the one who has to be given these powers. Just so I can fail? So I'll just become like my parents? No. I have to honor them. I have to live up to them. I have to be better than them. I-

"Y/N, are you okay?" Gwen asked as I turned around. I snapped out of my daze as she sat down next to me. 

"Yeah. I just have a lot of... things on my mind." I said as she nodded.

"Anyway, do you play any instruments? I was just wondering."

"Why?"

"Because I want to get to know you better."

"Okay. I um... play the guitar." I said as she nodded.

"Hey could I introduce you to my band? We need another guitar player."

"Um. I guess?" 

"What does that response mean?"

"Sure. Fine. I'll go meet your band." I clarified as Gwen chuckled. 

Time Skip

After school was out, Miles came up to me.

"Yo Y/N. You look sick. Are you okay?" He asked as I sighed.

"I'm fine. I just... have a lot on my mind." I said as he nodded.

"You wanna talk about it?"

"I'm... hesitant." I said as he nodded. We slowly walked through the city as I thought about what happened last night. It's all my fault. If I made it in time... Peter's uncle would've survived. But I ran. I ran away. I failed.

"Well. Y/N, whatever it is that is bothering you, you will get over it. You will grow and you will, gain more from it. There's this spark in everyone. A spark that allows anyone to be and do something great. You just have to break out of whatever barrier is blocking you. You have to take a leap of faith to really reach that spark. You have go break out of that shell and have faith. Faith that you'll get through this. Faith in others. Faith that you'll grow from this. You just need to take that leap of faith." Miles said as there was an awkward silence.

"Wow. We did you learn to make speeches like that?"

"Thats a speech my dad told me. About a thousand times. I just put my own little twist on it." He said as I chuckled. 

"I'll see you later Miles." I said as I waved at him. 

I went to work as always. But I couldn't look at Peter. I could have saved his uncle. But I was too slow. I failed. I kept on working on that synthetic thing I found yesterday.