Chapter 27

"I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."

—J.R.R. Tolkien

LISA

PAST

He punched me so hard that I spun around once before hitting the ground. Dazed, I lay there for a moment before I manage to get up and pull off my boxing helmet.

"You cheated!"

"Nope, you just suck," my father said with a laugh, as he threw me a water bottle.

I pulled off my gloves as fast as I could, desperate for something to quench my thirst. "My teacher said not use the word, 'suck,' because she knows I'm more educated than that."

"She said you're more educated, not me, kid." He rolled his eyes before pouring his own bottled water over his head. Standing up, I followed his lead and poured the ice cold liquid onto my body. I shivered as the water dripped from my face and onto the boxing ring canvas.

"Well, you're more educated than I am," I replied, as I shook the water from my hair. "At least you should be, right? You're old."

He frowned at me before he threw a glove at my head. Ducking out of the way, I grinned.

"Rule twenty: Your father is never old and it would be wise not to claim that he is. Also, remember, Rule twenty-three; just because one is old does not make them wise."

"You can't make up rules as you go!" I yelled at him. "You said they were given to you by your father and his father before him. You said it was a tradition."

"Lisa, you're thirteen, don't hold me to everything I say, it's annoying. You're supposed to forget that stuff," he replied as he helped me out of the ring.

"Why would I forget it? You get annoyed when you have to repeat things." I frowned.

He sighed as he ruffled my hair. "You're too goddamn serious, Lisa. Life is short; rebel a little. You're healthy, so enjoy life. Read a comic, binge eat, it's okay every once in a while," he told me as he pushed the button for the elevator.

"Grandpa says—"

"Grandpa is a hard ass, and no one can make him happy. Be who you are. I heard there's some dance at school coming up? Who are you taking?"

"No one." I frowned, as I leaned against the elevator wall.

"No one?"

"Yes, because I'm not going. I still hate school. I'm only going for you."

"Why, thank you," he snickered. "And you're going to the dance."

"Why?" I groaned and smacked my forehead. "I hate them."

"Because it makes you uncomfortable and you need to get used to doing things that make you uncomfortable."

I muttered an oath under my breath and he looked to me, daring me to defy him.

"Fine, I'll go. But I'm going to be miserable."

"You can thank me later."

PRESENT

"Lisa, you need to eat something," Jen whispered to me after we boarded the jet. I couldn't really remember the events that had led to me being here. I looked around the cabin, trying to piece together how long I'd been out of it, when I noticed some sort of soup and slices of bread in front of me.

"I'm not hungry."

"Fine. Then can you feed Ethan while I check on your mother?" she asked as she held both the bottle and Ethan in her arms.