Chapter 2 - Romeo

I looked to Luna Zeka and her guardian, Nala who sat proudly beside her, his large ears twitching and taking in the sounds around us. Luna quietly stood and looked down at the city with her large pale blue eyes taking in the sights scanning the area. She was fidgeting with her long auburn hair that was catching the breeze, the pleasant smell of jasmine floated in my direction. Her white suit was reflecting the warm light around us whilst hitting all her curves of her body. She looked to the clock and back down again, giving a faint smile in my direction. Nala was gently preening his ears with his paws and went back to surveying the area. He resembled Luna in many ways, I wondered if the moon guardian molded himself to match her mannerisms and appearance or whether the guardian looks for qualities that match their own. 

Nala looked like pure snow, his white fur catching all the artificial light around us. His distant eyes were a piercing cold blue and filled with judgement. Kind of like his owner. I often wondered that made her like that, she looked to be in her early twenties. Most people her age are out partying, going on holidays. Not sat patrolling for spirits with the weight of the world on their shoulders and in their eyes. 

I find her mesmerizing. During our patrols she commanded the situation with her quiet confidence. Yet she was kind of ditsy and sometimes forgetful but always warm and kind. When we sit like this together I could observe her all night, as well as the city. My mind started to wander and started think what she thought of me and my guardian. Lex, was aloof and calculating. She viewed everything with a generalised disinterest. I was disappointed to admit to myself, I probably shared some of those qualities in my civilian life.

Whenever I tried to get close to her and learn more about her, the walls of hers come up. Something about keeping things professional and protect ourselves from others that might want to know our secret identities to harm us. Despite this I wanted to ask her a question that had been on my mind since I met her months ago.

Luna gently sat back down on the edge of the building, her eyes still looking incredibly distant and full of sorrow. I leaned over and asked "Why did you move to London? That accent of yours gives you away Snowflake."

She turned her head to face me and looked down at her hands as her eyes welled "I suppose I don't sound like a Tory do I?" She gave a slight smile, that didn't reach her eyes. She continued "There are more opportunities here, the rest of the UK is often forgotten. Though I can't say the move has made much of a difference for me."

Her face looked pained, I had to cheer her up, so I asked a different question "Do I sound like a Tory?"  

She smiled in response, her demeanor lightened slightly "Yeah kind of!" she put her hand over her mouth as she giggled.

I dramatically put the back of my hand to my forehead and whimpered "I'm hurt that you would think that of me my Snowflake, I go to the supermarket and everything!" I put my hand on hers and brought it close to my chest, as if to plead to her.

She was still laughing as she quickly pulled away and interjected "The fact you are quoting Common People to me, makes me think that I'm definitely right. Tory Fox!" 

Before I could say anything further Nala interrupted clearly annoyed by our conversation, in his calm authoritarian tone "Children, we are here to patrol not to flirt." I thought to myself for a rabbit he sure was commanding. I quickly said,

"Sure thing professor! Won't happen again" I saluted him and jumped to my feet and walked as though I was on tightrope along the edge of the roof. I could hear his huff and grumble to himself whilst I walked away. Vex nimbly and silently followed me, weaving between my strides and jumped gracefully onto my shoulder and said coldly.

"I could eat him for you, you know." Her face looked as though she smiled as she said it, despite being a fox her face was emotive. You could tell when she was in a mood or whether she was joking. If someone had told me a fox could do that, I would definitely called them a liar. 

I jumped to the next building as I spoke "Thanks Vex appreciate the offer, but I think Luna would definitely hate me if I let you eat her guardian."

Vex looked at me quizzically before she responded in her normal bored tone "Well she doesn't seem to like you much anyway, and that way, I get dinner." She paused and swished her black perfectly groomed tail, I dove to the ground below and Vex jumped gracefully from my shoulder to the fence in front of me and continued "Anyway Romeo, didn't she tell you she has a boyfriend and is not interested?" She stood elegantly as she always did and gazed into my face for my reaction.

Vex was right, not long after meeting her, I knew Luna was amazing. So I told her my feelings right away, though she didn't reciprocate, our continued flirting is definitely not one sided. I know for certain that there is something between us, our connection to one and other has only grown closer with our patrols.

I confidently replied to her questioning "True Vex, but we work great together! Me bravely destroying the cannon fodder, her coming up with the brilliant plans? We are the perfect couple." I mimed the actions as I spoke and while Vex is a fox she definitely rolled her eyes.

"Yes but you're not a couple, thanks to us you are guardians" Vex quickly interjected and flicked her paw as she spoke.

I paused and thought to her far away stare and pained expression from earlier and said what was on my mind "Someone who allows her to always look so sad cannot be the right guy for her. I would not let her shoulder the weight of the world alone."

Vex cocked her head to the side and gave a small sigh before she spoke again "Fine, I'll help. But you owe me."

I smiled and petted Vex's head as thanks, she quickly ducked and walked away from me and used her head to signal to the clock above. 

It was 4am, It was time for us to go home.