Arabian Nights

Yes, we made it; we are finally here! This year, in my opinion, was the best out of the previous years that I was in high school. Well, let's get right into it starting with band camp.

Unfortunately, this year we lost several key band members. Not that anyone died, they either quit or moved. We lost Justin, Hope, and Carter for various reasons. Sadly, we also lost Laurann because her parents made her change schools, and we lost a few others, so this year the band felt emptier, although we had close to the same number of students as last year.

Originally the field show was generically called "The Warriors"; however, Mr. D. thought the music sounded Arabian-ish, so he decided our show that year would be titled Arabian Nights. At band camp this year my section leader was Adam; he was center snare as well in the battery. He was a great section leader; the only problem was no one ever seem to listen to him. What is more ironic is that I actually tried out for pit section leader, but we only had three people in the pit, so there really wasn't a need for one. Which is too bad, I would've loved to have been a section leader.

Nevertheless, I carried on and everything was fine. This year, I would be in the pit with Buckner, a freshman, on xylophone, my boy, Sian, on marimba, and two others who didn't show up for band camp; the first was Morgan Martin and the other was Khy Nutt. I was placed on the vibraphone. Luckily, during the summer, I practiced the piano and keyboard and was more prepared and able to play the vibraphone than in previous years. We practiced our music during those days at camp and got through part one easily. To save time Mr. D. decided to put parts one and two together.

The second we finished part one, we went into part two. Seriously, we were so good that we even made it to part three. By the end of band camp at the Parent's Showcase performance, we had three out of the five songs on the field and I was really proud of that. I think everyone was very proud! It was a great day and after we performed, we ate.

Then we waited for school to start. Well, actually this year we waited until the first football game. Yeah, for some reason the game took place a week before school started. One good thing that did come out of that game is that thanks to not there not having a long day of school no one was overly exhausted and we were able to perform without any problems. Well, almost without any problems. During our performance, a student who goes to North Mason High School, but not a band student, ran right through us. He was just trying to show school spirit and he was carrying a North Mason flag. I really didn't care, because, well, I'm in the pit, so I didn't see him. Also, he didn't hit anyone. However, the school security guard thought it was a big deal, so about a week later, the student came to the band room and apologized to us.

This year I did not have fourth-period percussion, instead, I was in first-period symphonic band. I believed I would be the only percussionist there, but luckily my good friends Adam, Blake, and Morgan were there with me. Unfortunately, Blake could not do marching band this year. And the reason I was in the first-period band was that I had signed up for an automotive class down at West Sound Technical Skills Center or West Sound Tech (for short) The bus left right after second period which meant I went to North Mason for half the day and then West Sound Tech for the other half. Unfortunately, West Sound Tech classes were during fourth-period percussion, so I had to miss the class. I immediately regretted making the decision after the school year started; however, my parents promised me a car if I finished vocational school. You do whatcha gotta do, right?

Anyway, back to band, so the football games came and went, honestly football games aren't really all that entertaining to me. North Mason High School doesn't really have a very good team. And not going to lie, it's hard showing up and being spirited when the team loses. . . all the time. My favorite thing about football games is the halftime show.