Memories

Seeing as to how half of this book was centered on events through my eyes, I decided to throw in this extra chapter. This chapter will consist of memories from other band members and instructors, some still in band, others who have graduated or moved on. Like I stated in the beginning we all have had our own impact. Hold onto these memories for as long as you can. With that said, let's take a trip down memory lane. . .

Chloe—My freshman year of band camp Paisley would eat lunch with me every day until I was confident enough to make friends.

Caleb Yuill—My fondest memories bring me back to a time when the band memes were prosperous. It was my 9th grade year, the high school band was new to me and different. My first year in the North Mason High School Band I was put on bass five in the drumline. It was there I met Andrew Shifrin, Cole Dee, and Adam to name a few who were in drumline. My favorite moments were when they welcomed me into the family of drumline, I soon became enemies with a tree from 9th grade year show. . . another favorite memory of mine is being in a garage band with Joseph and Avedis.

Khy McCabe (Nutt)–Caleb always sneaking onto the bus, "Sussudio", orange is orange, it's like 5fdp but not.

Laurann Chambless—Like Mr. D. calling me out on my first day and seating me front and center like I get that I'm a flute but I could have been put on the side of the front row and he didn't need to have me introduce myself and threaten you guys to be nice to me.

Mike Skaggs–My favorite memory would have to be every band camp I got to go to!

Dillan Hill—This one time at band camp during my junior year the low brass and percussion and a few others got foam weapons and played a game of capture the flag.

Zoe Cornwall and Hannah Patzold—That one time we snuck into the pool at the casino just before our Christmas concert.

Michael W. Lewis—One memory I have with the North Mason Marching Band is after I hurt my legs on day one of my junior year at band camp. It was a full ensemble at the end of day 2, I was sitting in a chair, behind the front ensemble on stage. I yell out to Mr. D., "I can't see the drum major!" To which he replies gracefully, " Maybe you shouldn't be playing on cars!" That was the moment I realized that I can never live that down.

At the very end of my freshman year, on the bus from the graduation rehearsal. We had just left Burger King and Taco Bell stop, approaching the intersection across from the Lewis Funeral Chapel. For some reason I look away from the conversation in the back of the bus, to see a truck driver fondling a naked lady, I alarm everybody in the back to look over at this crazy event. Sadly, nobody looked in time.

My final and only year as drum major, I remember climbing the podium in part five. This wave of emotions hits me as I look out to these amazing performers, that I am glad to call my family. I was so dehydrated that my tears wouldn't come out. As I start the count off to this amazing powerful end of the show, I get the best adrenaline rush I have ever felt. . . when I cut off and lean toward the book, I let out this huge scream of pure energy. I feel as if I need to break down and cry, right there on the podium. Performance mode does not let me and I turn around for my final bow. . . and that's why I don't need drugs!

Emily Gau—My favorite memories would have to be that time I played bean-boozled on the back of the bus on our way to Long Beach my freshman year. Another would have to be getting the Best Drum Major award with Paisley at the Tumwater parade and hearing the whole band erupt cheering for us.

Hailee Miller—I really liked when at Pullman me and some of my old friends from the North Mason band all met up!

Hannah Blüm—I remember the day we went outside to practice for the parade and I was thinking to myself, "How am I supposed to be able to walk, keep the flute horizontal, remember the music, listen to the rest of the band and play at the same time!?" It all worked out in the end, but I will never forget Mr. Drewry explaining all of this to me.