Chapter Seven

Austin took in the scene. The beautiful makeup artist was seated next to a dark blonde man who was attempting to charm her. Walking along the perimeter separating the dance floor from the bar area, Austin slid his hands into his pants pockets while studying the pair's body language. The man was very much into her, but her posture was almost defensive in nature. Her smile was flirty, but the look in her eyes said that she wasn't buying what the man was selling.

    The man stood up and leaned in close to her before walking off towards the Men's restroom.

    Amused, Austin sauntered up to the bar and sat down beside her. "I didn't know it was date night," he said casually.

    Crystal glanced at him, then turned away from him. "Well it is, and my date's going to be back any minute, so..."

    "Are you dismissing me?" Austin asked, laughing.

    "Was there something I could help you with?"

    "No, I just...saw you over here, and wanted to say hello."

    "Now you've said it, so you can leave," she said, her eyes hardening.

    He tilted his head to the side. "So, is this your first date with him?"

    She hesitated before answering.

    He narrowed his eyes at her. "It wasn't a trick question."

    "No, I know that," she snapped. "And yes, it's a first date."

    "Are you into him?"

    "Yes, I'm into him."

    He flashed one of his most charming smile and rapped his knuckles on the bar counter.

    The bartender approached, wiping down a shot glass. "What will you have?"

    "Scotch on the rocks."

    "Such a big boy drink for someone who comes off as being childish," she remarked.

    His eyebrows shot up. These days, he wasn't used to women challenging him the way she was. He wasn't used to women being standoffish with him, either. He was credited as being one of the most attractive bachelors in the entertainment industry. Most women he came across wanted to grab a hold of him and lock him down. That wasn't what he was looking for in this stage of his life, when he was nearing the peak of his career, but communicating that to women didn't change their end game. Whenever he engaged in casual relationships with them, they still seemed to hold onto the dream that they would be the woman to tame him and lock him down. "Such a big comment from a woman who's lying about being into a man she wants nothing to do with," he countered smoothly, sitting on the stool next to her.

    "As if you have any inkling of what or who I want," she retorted.

    "I know you don't want him," he maintained, tilting his head in the general direction of the Men's restrooms. "You smile at him, but you want nothing to do with him. It's written all over your face. Whenever he leans towards you, you lean away from him. You don't want him."

    "I guess you're the man that I want, then?" She arched a slender eyebrow.

    "That's not what I'm trying to say," he said softly.

    The blonde man returned and looked confused as to why another man was sitting on his stool.

    Austin slowly rose from his chair. "My bad, I didn't know this seat was taken."

    The blonde angled a look down at Crystal.

    "He's an ass," Crystal muttered with a wave of her hand. "Ignore him."

    She can call me an ass all she wants to, but there's no way she can tell me that she wants this chump, Austin thought, looking the blonde man up and down.

    Justin returned the perusal, then placed a hand at Crystal's back. "Maybe we should let him have the seats. Did you want to dance with me?" He extended a hand to her.

    She accepted his hand and stood up from the chair.

    Austin's eyes drank in the sight of her. She might have a bit of an attitude, but she was a gorgeous woman. Not just cute, not just pretty. Those words didn't suffice, didn't even begin to do her beauty justice. Her face was gorgeous, set off by a rich, red-brown complexion. That gorgeous face was complemented by one of the most beautiful shapes he'd ever seen. And I bet her curves are natural, he thought, his heart sinking a little as he watched her step onto the dance floor with the blonde man who looked like he'd been drawn by a team of Disney artists.

    Like a sucker, he watched her dance with the man. He watched the man make her laugh more than once. There were moments when she looked to genuinely enjoy his company, and then moments when she looked like his touch made her skin crawl. It was fascinating to watch. Austin moved away from the bar, nursing his drink.

    Crystal and her date returned to the bar. She reclaimed her stool and the blonde remained standing, albeit extremely close to her. He slid a card on the bar counter while speaking to her in hushed tones that Austin couldn't hear.

    She stared down at the card, then looked up at the blonde man with mixed emotions displayed on her face.

    The blonde man smiled at her and started to back away, leaving her with the card on the counter.

    Austin shifted glances between the man and Crystal. He waited for the man to leave before approaching her again. The card that had been left on the counter was a hotel key card. "The date went that well, huh?"

    "You really need to find a hobby," she said irritably, swiping the card off of the counter and tucking it away in her purse.

    "And you seem extremely tense for someone who's having the night of her life."

    She stared straight ahead, trying her best to ignore him.

    Seeing this, he smirked and sat down next to her.

    "Seriously?" She stood up from her seat and started to walk away.

    He reached out and grabbed her by the wrist. Then he pulled her towards him. "I'm not trying to be an ass to you," he said.

    She rolled her eyes at him.

    He laughed and licked his lips. "All right, maybe I am trying to push your buttons a little bit," he admitted. "You're so damned cute when you're irritated. I can't help it. And I know that you're not really into him."

    She opened her mouth and started to say something smart-assed, but he cut her off before she could go there.

    Pulling her even closer to him, he said, "It doesn't matter what you tell me - I know you're not into him. All right?" He ran a finger down the length of her arm. "Let's just say that I've studied women long enough to know when they're into someone and when they're not. Seeing as you're not, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. Instead of using that hotel card, you should come spend the night with me."