Chapter Thirty-Two

A flurry of white and charcoal gray stingrays flowed by in a stream, encased in a larger than life water tank. Their tiny, beady eyes reflected the light shining from below them. Crystal moved around the cylindrical tank with Austin close at her heels.

    "What made you bring me to an aquarium?" she asked him curiously.

    He shrugged his shoulders. "I wanted to take you somewhere different. So many people these days go to clubs, or movies, or dinner. There's nothing wrong with either one of those things, but I wanted to take you on a date that you'll remember for the rest of your life. And I wanted you to remember tonight as being beautiful. It was either this or the botanic gardens."

    He's doing that thing again, she thought, quietly following the fluttering stingrays. He's doing that thing where he gets underneath my skin. "And you think this date is going to get you bonus points?" She risked a look over her shoulder at him.

    He was grinning like a devious schoolboy. "I'm hoping that the thought I put into this gets me bonus points that will lead you to sleep with me again."

    She burst out laughing and shook her head. "Silly ass."

    "I like that, you know," he said, the tone in his voice switching from court jester to serious in the blink of an eye. "That I can be silly with you. Too many people take life so seriously these days. They forget to enjoy it."

    "When there are bills to pay and hell to pay when you can't pay your bills, the enjoyment tends to be sucked out of life," she muttered.

    "You sound like you're speaking from experience."

    She shrugged. "I haven't always been as fortunate as I am now."

    "Is that why you have the hustler mentality?" he joked, nudging her.

    Unable to resist cracking a smile, she answered, "Maybe."

    "So what is next for Crystal?"

    She took a deep breath. "Once upon a time I wanted my own cosmetics line, but it seems like everyone is doing that these days. Kylie and Rihanna have the market cornered. Lately I've been dabbling in special effects art. Making masks, fake wounds, that sort of thing. Thinking about starting my own special effects company and working with film studios."

    "That sounds lit. What's keeping you from moving forward with that?"

    "Why?" she countered. "Are you going to be my sugar daddy?"

    "If you let me," he said, and he sounded deadass serious.

    She shivered and immediately wrapped her arms around herself.

    "Is funding what's holding you back?"

    "Funding. Time. There's still a lot I'd need to learn."

    "You could always hire some of these young special effects guys, or grant them an internship and let them teach you the ropes," he suggested, walking circles around her before heading towards the next exhibit.

    Remaining frozen in place, Crystal mulled over that idea. "That's...brilliant, actually," she determined, speed walking to catch up to him. "You just spat that idea out like it was nothing, but that could be what really helps to propel my dream into reality."

    "Glad to be of service," he commented.

    She grabbed his arm and tugged on it. "Hey," she said softly. "I mean it. Thank you."

    "You're welcome," he said just as earnestly. "Once in a blue moon, I have more to offer a woman than just...money or dick. Once in a blue moon."

    "How is it possible that you're so..." She frowned in frustration, trying to think of the word she wanted to use. "How are you so...so..."

    Amusement lit up his eyes. "So...?" he prompted, his tone a little more than slightly mocking.

    "I don't know," she mumbled finally. "But...you're not like any other guy I've ever met."

    "Which is why it would be useless to use a set of rules you made up when dealing with past subordinate men who couldn't measure up to me even if they tried."

    Stunned into silence, she cast her gaze downward. "You're right."

    "It's nice that you can admit that once in a while." He glanced at the watch on his wrist. It was charming that he even still wore one these days. "Our time here is just about up. I'm starving and there are more things I'd like to show you." He held his elbow out for her to grab.

    Smiling nervously, she grabbed his elbow and walked with him down long, winding halls, headed back towards where they'd entered the aquarium. "Thank you for this."

    "You deserve so much more, and I intend to give it to you."

    On the way out, the door attendant tipped his hat to them. "Did your security guard find you, sir?"

    "My security guard?" Austin repeated. "I skipped security this evening."

    "That's what we thought, but your guard showed up saying there had been a change in plans due to recent events."

    Austin frowned. "What?"

    "There was someone...someone whose name I didn't recognize...it was Pushing...Pusheen...Puccini? Puccinity?"

    Crystal giggled behind her hand.

    Austin's brows drew together while he attempted to follow the older man's train of thought. "Push..." His facial features straightened. "Pusha T."

    The door attendant snapped his fingers. "Yes. The guard said that due to threats from Pusha T, your camp decided to change your plans regarding requiring security this evening."

    "Can you describe this guard?" Austin prompted the aquarium employee.

    From further down the hall, Justin cursed under his breath.

    "Sure," the old man said. "He's tall...about as tall as you are. White guy. Blonde hair. He looks kind of like the guy in them Thor movies. His hair's not long, though. Looked a bit preppy. Like he could work on Wall Street or something."

    Austin frowned, stroking his jaw.

    Beside him, Crystal gasped. "That description sounds like..."

    "It sounds like Disney," Austin remarked. "But he wouldn't really follow us here, would he? Make up some crazy story just to lurk around an aquarium all night?"

    She shrugged. "I don't know."

    Austin shook his head and clucked his tongue. "You had to put it on him something fierce."

    "I didn't put anything on him," she declared indignantly.

    "There's no way a man would go this crazy over a woman without her putting it on him," Austin maintained. "This is a conversation we can continue in the car." He turned to the door attendant. "Thank you for letting me know that we have a bit of a shadow following us, and thank you for tonight."

    Justin pressed his back flat against the wall. Because his cover had been blown, he couldn't just walk out of the front door now. He'd have to find another way out of the building.