Breakfast in bed

————

Nik had dropped me off back home before going to check out the werewolf problem.

You can imagine my surprise when he told me the werewolf was Hayley, and Rebekah had to kill the night walkers Marcel sent after her.

I was sitting on the porch with Hayley, trying to offer her some comfort while Nik piled up the bodies to be burned.

"This is why I told you never to leave the house. Werewolves are banned in the Quarter. I had a plan, and your little nighttime stroll put it all in peril!" Nik scolds Hayley.

Rebekah started to walk over to one of the vampires who was still alive, but she stopped as Nik shouted. "Leave him! You've done enough, don't you think? Leaving a trail of bodies like a road map to my door?"

I sigh, rubbing my temples as their fighting gave me a slight headache.

"If I hadn't overheard this lot bragging about werewolf heads, everyone here would be screwed. And don't give me that crap about having a plan. You've had all the time in the world to execute a plan, and no one's seen you do a damn thing! Elijah made a deal to protect your children, so that it could save you from your selfish, rotten self. But you obviously don't give a damn about the babies or Elijah, because what have you done to honor it?" Rebekah argues.

"I have done everything. Let me spell it out for you, shall I? From the day I arrived, Marcel hasn't trusted me. From Day One, he's had his vampires ingest toxic vervain which, as you know, little sister, protects them from my mind control. I needed a spy, someone on the inside with me who Marcel would never suspect. So, I created a Day Zero and got there first. Marcel had just lost six vampires, thanks to your little murder spree, and he needed new recruits. So, I made the new one mine, before he'd had even a drop of vervain." Nik explains the situation with Josh to Rebekah.

"And this one – I'm gonna drain him of vervain, compel him to believe his mates found religion and moved to Utah, so that he can explain to Marcel why he lost three more vampires tonight." Nik adds, grabbing the last living vampire and dragging him into the house.

Hayley and Rebekah follow him inside. I sigh before getting up and doing the same.

"Does anyone have any more questions? No? Good, because I have a question. Hayley, what were you doing in the bloody French Quarter in the first place? Answer me!" Nik shouts.

"Leave her alone Nik. I understand you're angry right now, but you need to calm down and quit screaming at everybody!" I shout back.

Nik looks a little surprised at my outburst but nods a bit in understanding.

"She is keeping something from me, and I want to know what." He says in a much softer voice.

"You wanna know what I was doing? I was buying poison, so I could put your little baby out of its misery." Hayley says to both of us.

"Excuse me?" I gasp in horror.

"If you were smart you'd do the same. These things aren't babies, they're monsters!" Hayley spits, looking at my stomach then hers in disgust.

Nik suddenly runs at her with vampire speed and pins her to the door by the neck. Leaving her to gasp for air.

"Nik stop!"
"NIK!" Rebekah and I yell at the same time.

Rebekah runs at Nik with vampire speed, pushes him off of Hayley and grabs him by the shoulders. Hayley coughs and splutters, massaging her throat.

"Keep your hands off her! Yours and Ivy's baby is still inside of her. We need a way to put the child back in Ivy, so that they can be safe. In fact, that's all Elijah was trying to do, all he ever wanted was to help you. You know how much he cares about Ivy as well. How could you dagger him?" Rebekah shouts.