Caroline

After everyone clapped for Eliza and went into separate conversations, I looked away. I slowly filled up my wine glass while straining my ears to pick up some conversations between my sister and Elizabeth.

"Will you not play again? You played that song so beautifully." My sister said in an encouraging tone. I was happy that Georgiana was coming out of her shy bubble, and I was delighted that Eliza was helping her.

"Not very beautifully, not faithfully at all," Eliza giggled, "You must have seen how I fudged and slurred my way through the difficult passages,"

My sister gave her a laughingly arched look, "It is a beautiful instrument, though," Elizabeth concluded with a sigh.

"My brother gave it to me this week; he's so good, I don't deserve it."

Love washed over me, and I was tempted to yell yes, yes, you do.

"I am sure you do," Eliza spoke my thoughts, "Your brother thinks you do, and as you well know, he is never wrong," with that, they both looked over at me, and the intensity of Eliza's gaze made my stomach flutter.

Eliza's look lingered on me as she turned to Georgiana, "Now, it's your turn." Georgiana's face colored, but Eliza said again, "Oh, I insist!"

"In front of all these people?" But she sat down in front of the instrument, "I will play, but please don't make me sing,"

"If you like," Elizabeth said with understanding, and I smiled at the two of them; they would make such beautiful friends.

"Pray, Miss Eliza, are the Militia still quartered at Meryton?" Purred Caroline from her seat as Elizabeth walked back to her chair, no doubt to read her book.

"No, they are encamped at Brighton for the summer." Said Elizabeth, not missing a beat.

"That must be a great loss for your family,"

"We are enduring it as best we can, Miss Bingley."

"I should have thought one gentleman's absence might have caused particular pangs,"

No. Caroline wouldn't.

"I can't imagine who you mean."

"I understood that certain ladies found the society of Mr. Wickham curiously agreeable,"

Georgiana's playing on the piano faltered.

I half stood up. For Caroline to say such a thing, and in Georgiana's presence-

Disgust flared in Elizabeth's face as she stared at Caroline, then she turned and briskly walked back to my sister, who had resumed playing but was a little pale, "I'm so sorry, I'm neglecting you," Eliza said as she stood beside her, "How can you play with no one to turn the pages."

I sank back into my seat. As relief washed over me, I didn't take my eyes off Eliza's face as she murmured, "Allow me," to my sister and turned the page.

Then, as if she felt my eyes on her, she slowly lifted her gaze, and we locked eyes.

The world dissolved.

Her face changed, and an apologetic and so trusting expression blossomed. The candlelight danced in her eyes as she smiled at me, too dazzled to do anything else; I let everything I felt for her pour into my eyes; she did not falter. She only continued to gaze at me, and I at her.

Until it felt like we were the only people in the room who mattered.