Chapter 5

Peter's POV
When Hail wakes up, I'm going to die. That's it. My life will come to an end. Rider will kill me. Even when I could tell Daniel regretted everything beforehand, I insisted on making the bet despite his hesitation. I should have ended it when she was shaking in my hands. Now it's too late and all I can do is hope Hailflower won't sleep forever.

"Why on earth did you sleep on the couch when you have a bed?" Daniel asks as he slams open the door, waking me up.

"I was tired," I reply while rubbing my forehead, groaning.

"Ok, what's wrong with you this time?" he asks jokingly but worryingly.

Completely ignoring him I ask, "Has she awakened from her slumber yet? It's been a week since you know... have you spoken to Rider lately?"

"I have," he calmly answers.

"Hey, I want to apologize again for making that bet. I was stupid," I say guiltily.

"Yes you were, but I forgive you. I forgave you a while ago, and I am absolutely sure that Hail and Rider will too, well actually, I'm not sure about him, but she definitely will," he says with a lazy smile.

"So now what? Are we going to the hospital?" I ask indecisively.

"Yes, let's go. Rider is already there," he says without hesitation.

Knowing Rider, he would be sleeping in a chair, with his body slumped and his head resting on his shoulder, holding Hailflower's hand. As we walked into her room, Rider was clutching Hail's hand, staring at her with a look of deep sadness and anxiety.

I had only seen him this way once before, and that is when their mother was in the hospital. She took her last breath when Rider got her an orange soda from the vending machine. I believe she asked for the drink knowing she would be gone by the time he returned. What I think is that she wanted him to drink it. It was like her last gift to him. But Rider didn't see it that way. He did end up drinking something, though that something wasn't soda, but alcohol. He was a wreck when she died; however, luckily for him, Rider had Hailflower. She was the only thing that kept him going.

Without taking his eyes off Hailflower, he asks, "Well, are you guys going to come in or stand there like dummies?"

"I-I'm uh sorry," I stutter as I walk in so Daniel could come into the room.

"It's fine, but if my sister doesn't wake up... you better run," he says, glaring at us. His cold eyes soften as he looks back at Hail. Had you been a stranger, you could instantly tell that Rider loved Hailflower with all his heart. That is when the guilt hits me the hardest. None of this would have happened if I hadn't made that bet. It's all my fault.

"Stop blaming yourself," Rider says, making me look up at him.

"What?" I ask, uncertain of what I heard.

"I know you heard me, but I'll repeat it for your sake. It's not your fault, so stop blaming your pitiful self," he answers.

"But it is, if-," I say.

"Don't you dare finish that sentence," he interrupts me, "It's not, so get that through that thick head of yours."

"I-uh, okay," I whisper.

He sighs and says, "Look, you have to understand that it's not your fault. I know that you should, too, Daniel, it's not your fault either. It's not just one of our faults. We can't all just blame ourselves alone. We shouldn't be stupid enough to believe that. This was all an accident, and I forgive both of you, and myself, however, I just need a bit of time to collect my thoughts," he says as he gets up, "Take care of my sister while I'm absent, and don't you dare touch her." He glared at us for a second and left the room.

A few seconds after he left, I run over to Hail and look at her peaceful face.

"Don't touch her," Daniel reminds me.

"I know, I know. I just wanted to see her," I say while gently moving a piece of Hail's hair out of her face.

"Idiot! Do you not know the meaning of do not touch?" Daniel whisper yells worried that Rider would pop up any minute.

I roll my eyes and carefully look at Hail again. Even in the midst of sleep, she was beautiful.

Wait did... did her...

"Hey Daniel, I think her nose scrunched up," I say in disbelief.

Daniel then runs to my side and looks at her, but before he could say anything, we hear someone clear their throat, which causes us to jump and look at Rider.

"Oh, hey Rider," Daniel says.

"What were you two doing?" He asks firmly.

"I thought I saw Hail move her nose," I replied quickly. Without a word, Rider walks over to Hail, and looks at her, searching for movement.

"I don't see anything," he says without taking his eyes off her.

Daniel interrupts and says, "I have to go. I will be right back," he said, walking out of the room, not waiting for a response.

"Well, maybe try touching her hand or something?" I suggest quietly, ignoring Daniel's sudden disappearance.

Rider touches her hand, and the most incredible thing happens. Hailflower's small fingers slowly curl and hug his.

"Peter call the doctor," he demanded.

I run out of the room while Rider sits down, looking at his sister as he softly touches her forehead. When I get back with the doctor, I overhear Lillee say slowly, "I couldn't drive here because my car decided... not to work today."

"That's a shame. I can look at it later if you want," I say with the Doctor and Daniel behind me. Wait, when did Daniel return?

"Oh good, you're here," Rider says, politely.

She examines her patient and writes something on her clipboard.

"Doctor Cage, do you know when she will wake up for good?" Peter asks. He asked the question we were all wondering.

"Two to three days at the latest, don't worry, you'll have her back soon, but Mr. Hayes, I need to talk to you privately about her condition," she says with a hint of sadness.

"Can all of you get out?" Rider asks as his face becomes unemotional. We all leave without saying another word.

When we are out of the room, Lillee goes to find food, and Daniel stays silent. What was wrong with my Hail? Was it so severe that she might die? Is that why she asked to talk only to Rider?