Chapter 45: Anticipation

I carefully pushed a branch to the side and squinted through, then ducked back down to face everyone else again.

"So it looks like they've got Shadow Riders pretending to be guards stationed all around the walls of the city... Anyone have ideas for how to get in?"

"Let's go through the sewer system," Lloyd said matter-of-factly, "Nobody will be guarding that."

Jay gave a quick shudder, his lips twisting into a grimace. "Have we really exhausted all other options?"

"Would we not be able to enter in disguise?" Skylor asked, "Because, I mean, what if the sewer networks are guarded too? And if we're caught wandering around down there, regardless of whether or not we wear disguises, we're kinda screwed. The Shadow Riders don't seem like the type to be scared of getting their hands dirty. And it's such a cliche in stories that the heroes are able to use sewer networks to get around, and if the Shadow Knight is smart, he'll know to guard them."

"I agree," Zane said, and though it seemed like more of a long-winded excuse for not going down into the sewers, I had to admit that she had a point, "We should try and figure out ways to get inside without them getting suspicious."

"Is the Shadow Knight all that smart though?" I asked, recalling all the times we'd slipped from his grasp, "I feel like we're overestimating him."

"Better overestimate than underestimate," Jay pointed out, obviously not liking the idea of sewers.

"Okay then," I sighed, "So disguises? But what?"

"Wait, actually," Skylor interjected, "I don't think we should do that. I know I was the one who suggested it in the first place, but so much could go wrong with the plan that we should try something else."

"Do you have an idea in mind?" Zane asked.

"I think for now we should focus on getting stronger," she said, "Because you guys are definitely not in ideal physical condition for a fight. We also need food."

"We don't have any money," Lloyd mumbled, "And um..."

"Oh I know exactly how to get that," Skylor replied with a grin.

"Where?" Jay asked.

"We raid my house."

...

Since I was the least likely to be faced with repercussions of the group, everyone agreed that Skylor and I should go. The others remained in the woods guarding our stuff while I followed her through the trees, staying clear of but still trekking alongside the dirt road. She didn't attempt to make conversation and neither did I, so the only sounds accompanying our trip were the occasional rustling of branches or the snapping of a twig when someone stepped on something.

I found myself shivering the further we went and several times wanted to ask her how much longer we'd have to go but stopped myself each time, knowing that that would only make me sound like a whiny brat, and besides, we hadn't been walking for that long anyway. And I was glad I didn't, because we arrived soon enough to a spot across the road from a giant mansion.

A nod from Skylor told me that this was the right place, and she surveyed the area before telling me that the coast was clear and neither her father or Clouse were home. I wondered how she knew just by looking at the building's exterior but was too lazy to question her judgement.

To hide our identities, we smeared mud all over our faces and hair.

"Okay, so this is the plan. You go knock on the door first, and I'll stand to the side. So then when Henri opens it, could you take him and basically distract him long enough so I can get the money? I'll hopefully slip by unnoticed because if he sees me he'll get really pissed. Even though we have 'disguises,' he might see through them."