Chapter 33

I glance at the list of orders, making sure I have everything organized. As I start preparing a latte, I carefully measure the coffee grounds and pour the steamed milk, creating a perfect layer of froth on top. The rich aroma fills the air.

Amidst the sounds of milk frothing and coffee machines hissing, I can't help but be distracted by Rick and Cody. They're being quite loud, but it's hard not to eavesdrop when they're practically shouting.

Glancing back, I notice the impending storm brewing on Rick's face. He looks like he's just about to burst. And Cody seems to be well aware of it, relishing in it in fact. He was grinning

Cody's mischievous eyes shift towards me, and he says with a grin, "I think I broke your boss." 

"I still can't believe he's your boss," he continues, looking genuinely confused at the thought. 

Rick's face darkens with a mix of irritation and suppressed anger. It's like he's on the verge of committing a murder, but he manages to keep it in check, at least for now.

Rick's phone rings, interrupting the moment. His glare shifts from Cody to me, a silent warning not to let anything escalate further. "Hey, Mum," Rick answers the call, his voice strained.

Cody snorts a laugh "Of course, it's his mum. As if any other person would call him." 

 I quickly clamp my lips shut, trying to stifle a laugh.

Rick's eyes dart towards Cody, shooting him a death glare. But Cody remains unfazed, flashing an innocent smile in return. "Just pointing out the malfunctions in your social life," he adds, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes.

I hear Camille chuckle from behind me "I think we should keep him around."

Her chuckle falls into a whisper "Now that's what he gets for trying to fire you" she says "Karma's a bitch. And in this case it's name is Cody."

"Well that was poetic" I whisper back

Rick might as well have had steam coming out of his ears.

___________________________________________________________

 I slip into the seat next to Naomi, trying to put on a reassuring smile. "Hey... I've called Sam," I tell her. "She actually picked up, you know." I force a laugh, trying to lighten the mood. "She's coming to pick you up. She'll be here soon."

Naomi turns to me with a nod. She looked so sad, so scared. And it hurt my heart seeing her like that.

"Okay," she says softly, her voice shaky.

"I-I know you must be scared and shocked... and you must be freaking out," I breath out a sigh "And I'm sorry you got dragged into it."

Naomi just nods, her eyes still wide with worry.

Trying to shift the focus to something less overwhelming, I continue, "I finally get to work at the bookshop. It took quite a few emails." I hope that talking about something else will distract her from the current situation.

But I notice Sam's car pulling up outside the cafe. Naomi clearly notices it too, her eyes darting towards the window.

Naomi is quiet for a moment before speaking "Good luck" she finally says "We'll talk later."

I stand up to let her out of the seat, and with a slight smile she turns away towards the door.

 "Don't tell Sam yet." I force out

Naomi doesn't say anything, but as she reaches the door, she turns back to look at me. "I'll wait for you," she says and I know I probably shouldn't believe her, but for some reason I did. I always did.