Chapter 16 • Should I Stay Or Should I Go

August 11, 1993. 3rd person POV.

It's been a month. One month since everything started happening. Bill and Stanley are still dating, and are happier than ever, they told everyone about 2 weeks ago. Richie and Eddie, well, they're a different story. You see, they made up and became friends again, but their feelings for each other are still super obvious to everyone except them. Every single one of the losers knows that they like each other, whether they found out on their own, by just looking at Richie and Eddie, or either one of the two boys told them.

But there's something else that's worrying Richie. School for the losers starts in a week and a half and Emma still hasn't talked about leaving yet. Richie had been writing to Will and Bradley back home all summer, he hasn't told them about Eddie, or being gay, and he plans to do that in person. They keep asking "When're you gonna come home!" or "Dude come back, school starts in 3 weeks and you're still not back." Richie is going to ask Emma about it, but he hasn't found the right time yet.

Richie woke up this morning, his hair a mess and the early morning sun shining into hid room, making everything seem orange and yellow. He walked downstairs, into the kitchen, where he saw Emma, eating a bowl of cereal.

"Goodmorning!" Emma said, smiling brightly at Richie.

"Morning." Richie murmured, his voice still tired and sore.

"Hey so I've been meaning to ask you if you've been wondering about school and when we're leaving." Emma asked him.

"Actually, I wanted to ask that too. When do we leave, because my school starts in 2 weeks and I don't know what I need to buy and I-I don't even have a backpack and-"

Emma cut Richie off.

"Richie, please, calm down. I have to tell you something important. Keep in mind, this is totally your choice but just listen to me, alright?" Richie nodded, so Emma continued. "You're mom sent me a letter about 2 weeks ago, saying that she'd been getting better, and has been actually sober since the middle of June."

"Okay..." Richie responded, not knowing where this was going.

"The letter I received was saying that if you want, she'll move here, you'd go to school here, you'll get to stay with your friends, and you can always visit back home. But listen when I say this, I think that this is the best choice for you. You've grown to love the people here, some more than others, if you get what I mean." Emma wiggled her eyebrows with a smirk on her face.

"Shut up! No I don't!" Richie said, the smile growing on his face. He knew Emma was right, he did really want to stay here. He didn't really like Derry, but he loved his friends. He could always visit them and write to them, and they could do the same. Richie smiled at the idea.

"You don't have to make the decision now, but just take your time, okay?" Emma smiled lightly

"Okay, I'm gonna go hang out with Bill and Eddie, see you later?"

"Yeah, see you later."

August 11, 1993. Richies POV.

I biked over to Bills house and knocked on the door, Eddie opened it and let me in and I saw Bill and Stanley sitting on the couch, cuddling, while Eddie had been sitting in the recliner. They must've been watching a movie, but now they're just talking.

"Can I ask you guys for an opinion on something?" Richie started fidgeting with his hands.

"Yeah, of course, what's up." Eddie responded and smiled lightly at Richie. Richie looked down at his hands and started talking.

"My aunt wants me and my mom to move here. Permanently. And I really want to, but I have friends back home, and I've missed them a lot this summer, but I want to stay, too. It's been fun, here, getting to know you guys, and I just don't think I can leave yet."