Intro

Text message:

dad:):

> Hey Alex, today is the big day, please don't mess it up because of that guy. Don't be selfish, everyone has work hard for this,  you're finally good enough for it to through it away, take the name of this family to where it belongs, just like Mia and I have. You're meant to win, you MUST win, remember that.

> Again, don't ruin this. Go and play some real tennis. DON'T CHOKE.

That was the last thing the young Alexandra Meneses, the new Spaniard sensation read just right before she went and play the biggest match of her life, a place in the quarterfinals of the 2017 US Open.

The 18-year-old with the breakthrough of the season, the kiddo who made the huge jump into her first main Grand Slam draw as the 125 ranked player on Wimbledon and the possession of a few WTA titles in the last months of the season, more than enough to put the teenager into the spotlight. As well as filling the hopes and air of the Spanish people and tennis fans with the expectations of having found the new talent, the new greatest champion, and the future of tennis, good enough to fight the highest ranked players on tour.

...

"Alex!", my coach said through the other side of the bathroom door, "come on, you're going to cool down, don't forget the snacks. They just brought your rackets, let's go."

"Coming!", I took a deep breath, looked at myself once again in the mirror, "don't choke, don't choke, you got this, elbow up, fast feet, breath.", I came out to find my whole team with nervous faces spread around the room.

"Ready?", I looked around, "hey listen, I know you're scare, but you can do this, we've work so hard, your level is there, play the ball, not the opponent. Vamos!", I nodded, took another deep breath, and picked up my stuff.

The 2 heavy bags made my shoulders hurt a little, my arms felt cold even though I was slightly sweating. I said my goodbyes to the team, share some hugs and smiles, but all I could think of was, -make us proud, champion, behave, must win, don't choke-

Now, not only is she expected to become the next generation of tennis but to take the name of her former ATP top 5 father back in the top, but she'll have to overcome expectations, feelings and learn how to manage new rivalries, make decisions and living in the spotlight, everything while she tries to figure herself, her family and the people that will enter her life.

Too much pressure, too much expectation, too many people and noise in her head. She felt this coming, the need of someone who understand how it was like to be a tennis player nowadays, someone to peace up her mind, just someone.

"30 seconds", the tournament staff said to the both of us while we stood there waiting to be call and come out of the tunnel that connected the outside to the hard court.

"Oh god, I can't do this", I thought, "come on Alex, point by point, she's human too. Breath."

2017 US Open

4th round

A.Meneses vs S. Stephens (3-6 6-3 1-6)

"John this could be the end of the tournament for the Spaniard, what you think?"

"Indeed Gaby, the best chances for the young player to make it deeper and achieving her best result into any other Slam have in fact vanish, after an incredible performance during the quali, and first week here in New York plus managing to get a magnificent comeback in the 2nd set, now she's facing match point against.", the commentator said.

"Of course, this is a new experience for Alex, she's young and relatively new in the tour, couldn't play the important points and her rival did, she showed the ability to produce great points, great defense, but the big factor here for the Spaniard was the mental game. We've seen a little bit of her strugles during the week but today... today she really lacked, she just wasn't here."

"I agree on that John, she seemed somewhere else but this stadium, eyes lost looking around, nervous body language, erratic reactions to miss points. Too bad for Meneses."

"Game, Set and Match Stephens, 6-3 3-6 6-1"

The 18-year-old walked to the net to shake hands, rapidly taking her stuff, and walking her way to the locker room in between tears, shaky hands and eyes glued to the ground.  

"Shit!", the Spaniard said once she saw her phone screen light up.

text message:

dad:(:

> YOU CHOCKED! Again, that's unbeliveble Alex. So close.

> You're not talking to him, ever again. He's a waist of time, a distraction! You just let a great opportunity go and just for a guy who can't even play? 

>I hope your happy after throwing everything we've worked on away.

Her eyes water even more, another text showed up.

Rublo:))

>  Hey,  sorry for that, you were great Sash, it was a tough match.

> Please call me when you feel ready. xo

The tears on her eyes found their way out, slowly runnig down her cheeks but a warm and comforting feeling on her chest made them insignificant, just like he always did.