Danny's Cafe

A small sign covered with bold letters that read 'ENTERING CRADESVILLE' signalled our arrival arrival into town. Five minutes in, and it was as though there was a complete switch in the atmosphere, with clusters of people walking in and out of large, decorative shops and chatter and laughter coating every street we drove by.

Lively was definitely the adjective for this town, which I thought was going to be much smaller. Maybe it was small, but the constant movement and noise created by the inhabitants made it seem like a larger city, only it was missing the typical skyscrapers and polluted smell. Nature clearly played a role in aiding the town's outward appeal, with nearly every house containing hanging pots of flowers outside front doors, or snippets of ivy snaking around the walls as though they'd been purposely placed there to mimic an intricate henna pattern.

We passed a park, that had several weeping willows around one end that stole my gaze. I could already imagine myself hiding under their still shower of veined leaves, tucked away in a blanket and pillow illuminated with fairy lights, after falling under the spell of unknown worlds as I read through the art that authors painted through inked letters. What a thought that was; my father also loved weeping willows I remembered, it's why I treasured them so much.

The cafe we arrived at was directly opposite the entrance of the park, with its name (Danny's Cafe) designed to be the branding of a coffee cup, above the glass front door. Tori parked her car, and after switching off the music she said before getting out, "prepare for the best coffee of your life." Happy that the conversation we'd had barely ten minutes ago had stopped plaguing the air between us, I followed in suit and exited the car.

One thing that could never get old would be the dstinct smell of freshly baked goods, spiced sandwiches, and coffee beans the moment you entered a cafe. It never failed to impress. "Well if it isn't the one and only Tori and uh- your friend, what's your name darling?" An older woman approached us, wearing a maroon apron with a smaller version of the coffee cup outside sewed into the top right corner, with the name Danny plastered in the middle.Red hair, with some greying tendrils, rested atop her head in a messy bun with a pencil sticking through it.

I wasn't sure whether it was intentional or not, but I recognised the hesitation when she glanced at me, followed by a slight frown as she studied me. "Alice." I answered with a polite smile, and she brushed off whatever is seen on her face a moment ago with a smile. "Well Alice, I'm Danny and welcome to my cafe, I'm assuming Tori told you about our coffee?" The more she talked, the more I unpicked the Aussie accent as she did. "Yep, heard it's the best coffee to exist." I said with a light chuckle.

"Not surprised. She has a habit of doing that," She responded, "Harper not here today?" "She was busy today, but she still wants her usual with the cin-" Tori spoke until Danny interrupted, "with a cinnamon bun? Sounds like her. Anyways, you both get yourselves seated, and I'll be with you in a minute." She said, before grabbing a tray of drinks and a cheesecake to hand out to some of other other customers.

"Come on, let's go upstairs." I followed Tori up the stairs to a room nearly identical to the one downstairs but with fewer people. We sat in one of the side booths, and I took a moment to take in my surroundings: mainly maroon walls, with frames that photographed spices and sweet treats on one side, and on the other, a white wall speculated with large graffitied letters and drawings. Dimly lit bulbs hung low above booths, whilst harsher light spotlighted other areas of the room. Two windows, opened slightly, gave a simple view of the park in front. All in all, it was cosy and definitely the kind of cafe I'd run to for a snack and drink, or solo studying.

Danny was with us shortly, and Tori ordered the both of us a large coffee alongside a plate of scones, and then she disappeared back downstairs. "So," I started, "how long have you been working at the labs?" "Six or seven years, give or take. Started working at eighteen and been there ever since." She nodded to herself. "Eighteen?" I gave a low whistle, "we were definitely at different levels at eighteen. You enjoy working there that much?"