ACE

I wrinkled my nose at the sounds of a large truck passing in the distance. The road is pretty far from the pack border and hardly anyone aside from pack drives on it, but the surrounding mountains echo the sound all over. My wolf tries to cover his ears, he hates the sound more than I do. Although it doesn't seem like anyone else in the pack minds it. Guess I'm just a cranky baby alpha. I hear the bushes to my left rustle. It's Chloe, she's the only one that knows I hide here when I need alone time. "What's up Chloe?" She emerges from the bushes with a frown and mild respect in her eyes. "You weren't supposed to hear me coming." I snicker. "You need to work on your woodcraft in human form" She glares at me for a moment, then snickers back. "Your dad sent for you, didn't say what he wanted but I sensed something eerie in the air as I left and an unknown wolf" My wolf is at attention, there aren't any other packs within a hundred miles of here. "Should I be furry?" She shakes her head. "No rush, the wolf didn't smell dangerous." I slip my shoes back on and we head back to the den.As we reach the den, I allow my wolf to take a deep whiff of the area. He smells the unknown wolf and sits up tall, not alert though. I scratch behind his ears and try to figure out what he smells that I don't. We reach the front doors, they're big oak doors my father carved with his father when he was a boy, the door is covered in scratches but not from attacks. It's a pack tradition that when a pup first develops decent wolf manners, they scratch the door. Chloe taps my shoulder. "Are we going to go in, or stand here thinking?" I shake my head and push open the doors. The moment the doors open I'm blasted with the smell of dominance from two different wolves, one I recognize as my father, the other is a stout woman in a red flannel older than I am. I look her dead in the eyes then it hits and it's why my wolf wasn't at alert, I know this woman, or rather I know of her. She smiles softly and says, "Hello Ace, I'm Amelia Peik."