Chapter III

Kieran fell asleep inside Lethia's car.

It was funny how Kieran was so against the idea of being in the same space as Lethia earlier but now the girl was sleeping soundly besides the driving vampire.

Lethia tapped the steering wheel in a certain rhythm, feeling gleeful that she decided to bring her car tonight to fetch the younger girl. She felt even more excited when Kieran finally agreed to come with her.

It wasn't that long of a drive nor was it short either. But they are near and Lethia could already see their destination.

A forest.

She stopped and parked the car then began gently waking Kieran up. "Kieran, we're here na." The girl didn't budge.

Such a heavy sleeper as always. Lethia shook the girl's shoulder lightly, "Kier." She moved closer to her.

"Kier wake up."

Her nose sniffed up a sweet smell the moment she went closer to the girl. Her scent. Lethia sighed in content, almost in relief. She moved closer and closer until her lips met Kieran's neck. Preciously, she pecked. "Kieran," she whispered.

"Hmmm?" The young girl turned. "Ano?"

"We're here." She gave another peck. This time it made Kieran open her eyes wide.

"Anong ginagawa mo?"

"Waking you up?" Lethia backed up a bit to look at her fully. "You're such a sleeper, walang pinipiling lugar. Sana lang hindi ka nakakatulog kapag may iba kang kasama lalo na kapag vampire din."

"Wala akong ibang kilala na vampire." Kieran mumbled as she took off her seatbelt.

"Good." Lethia said and both of them went out of the car.

"Nasan tayo?" Kieran looked around trying to see something familiar, but there's none even the road was strange. One would think she was kidnapped and will be killed here. It's a perfect place for a murder or a vampire feed.

"The forest." The older said nonchalantly. She started walking towards the trees.

Kieran frowned, "uhmm? Pupunta tayo diyan? Are you serious?"

"Yes? Let's go."

"Papatayin mo ba ako?"

Lethia stopped on her tracks and looked back at Kieran to glare at her. "Why would I do that? I told you no bloodlust." She was offended that Kieran would think she is capable of hurting her.

"Ano pa bang iisipin ko dinala mo ko sa madilim na forest, in the middle of the night!"

"As if you haven't been here, did you forget already? It's THE forest." Lethia grabbed Kieran's hand, she held it tight. "Remember, this is where you said yes to me. Remember?"

The young girl bit her lip, "Bakit iba..."

"It's not," Lethia started dragging her forward inside the gloomy trees.

It was dark as if they were closing their eyes, however Lethia being a vampire could easily see through the darkness and sense her surroundings. While Kieran was holding on the vampire's hand tightly, pushing her body closer to Lethia's side even if she didn't want to.

"Please tell me na may magandang reason kung bat mo ko pinapadaan sa ganito." Kieran agitatedly said.

There was no sound besides their footsteps rustling and stepping on fallen leaves, and the air was cold — colder than before. Lethia didn't reply but continued walking. She guided Kieran deeper in the woods.

When she spotted the tree arch, she got excited and quicken her steps. She dragged Kieran through it, and when the younger girl stepped foot beyond the arch fireflies began appearing. One by one, the fireflies started lighting their surroundings, encircling the two.

"Woah," Kieran couldn't help but utter.

Lethia looked directly at the girl's eyes, "now do you remember?"

Kieran continued looking around, she lets go of the vampire's hand and reached out to the fireflies. She was fascinated. She took little steps, following the ones she thought shined the brightest. Then she shook her head.

"You still don't?" Lethia's face fell.

"I don't know..."

The older of the two sighed but relented. "Okay."

"You know, bat pa tayo nag kotse kung pede mo tayo itransport dito ng mabilisan?" Kieran suddenly asked, her attention still on the flying light bulbs.

Lethia shrugged her shoulders, "every second is precious with you." She looked up.

Kieran turned towards her and saw that she was looking at the sky, so she followed her gaze. And there, they saw bright stars lighting up the sky beautifully. "Kanina walang stars ah?" She mumbled.

"Yeah."

The young girl looked back at the vampire and saw her eyes flashed red then turned back to brown. "Okay ka lang?" She asked.

"Do you still love me?" Lethia suddenly said, Kieran was caught off guard.

Silence creeped around them. The wind began to rustle as the young one stared at Lethia, looking like she was thinking of an answer. While the older one patiently waited.

"Tell me you don't." Kieran then replied after a long while. It made Lethia frown.

"What?"

"Say you don't love me."

"Huh? What do you mean? Why would I?" Lethia was confused.

"Don't seek me out, parehas pa tayong bata."

Lethia didn't know what to say. First, she was definitely older than Kieran, so much older. Second, what does she mean don't seek her out? Lethia would do anything the girl wants. If she will tell her to jump off a cliff she would. But if Kieran tells her to leave her be she won't, no. That's one thing she can not do.

"I want to reach the stars Lethia, I want to be on the top of the sky."

"I know that, but I am asking. Do you still love me?"

Kieran sighed, "Wild women like you don't get blues, you only get reds."

"Gusto ko na umuwi," she continued. "Can you get me home?"

Lethia didn't reply, she was too flabbergasted to be able to open her mouth. So, Kieran started walking past her.

"Humans. So complicated." The vampire whispered to herself and then began following behind Kieran.

"Kier, hindi pa tayo uuwi. May ipapakita pa ako." Lethia said as she grabbed the girl's elbow, turning her around in the process.

"What?"

Just as Kieran asked the question, Lethia felt a warm breeze on the back of her neck. Instantly, her eyes turned red and her fangs grew as she turned around — putting Kieran behind her. The vampire growled but there was no one.

The place was eerie quiet. With only the fireflies, flying around. The trees silently stood while their leaves rustled with the wind.

Lethia was so sure she sensed someone, not human.

She felt a hand gripped her shirt.

"Ano meron?" Kieran worriedly asked.

She looked around first before answering, "nothing." Lethia faced the girl, and put her hands on the latter's waist. "Tara na."

Lethia didn't notice, but there was a sudden fog gradually creeping on their feet. Kieran was the first to see it. The young girl looked at it in confusion, "bakit may fog?"

This alarmed Lethia and looked down. "Oh no-"

"Lethia?-"

All of a sudden Kieran's knees weakened and slowly her eyelids drooped down. She felt Lethia catch her and call out her name. The last thing she saw was the sky that was supposed to be filled with stars tonight but she didn't see any again.