Chapter 17

Charles lumbered forward in his lion form as he followed his small mate through the forest. Everything had seemed fine when they first met but now he was sure she was trying to avoid him. Days had passed and she had turned down his every advance. His lion grumbled in worry in his mind. What if she was rejecting him. His need for her only grew every day that she remained unclaimed. A week it had been. 

Without Joseph, Charles couldn't use the vampires telepathy to talk to his mate. Grumbling his tail flicked this way and that. Stress building as the need to claim what was his rose. Of course she could refuse him but the rejection might kill him. A distressed hiss left his jaws at that possibility. His lion wanted to refuse that she could be anywhere but with him. 

"Charles"

June's voice entered his ears and the tension in his mind dissipated instantly. Her left hand tangled in his mane causing a guttural sound of pleasure to come from him. Flicking an ear in her direction to show her that he was listening. 

"I'm sorry, I'm probably not what you wanted in a mate. I not a shifter. I'm small and I'm broken. I carry a heavy sin on my shoulders too. I can't tie you to me. You might get targeted if my past ever catches up to me" June spoke, her voice thick with emotion. Fear. Sadness. anxiety and despair. 

Charles could smell her tears as they began to fall and she sobbed. Her hand in his mane pulled taught. It hurt but Charles didn't try to shake her off. She was in pain and she needed him. He stilled when she pulled her hand away before shifting immediately and snatching her up into his arms. Her small frame fit perfectly in his arms and he sighed at the contact. 

"I couldn't have aske for a better mate, little witch" Charles stated gruffly while rubbing soothing circles in Junes lower back. 

"But..." June tried to respond before Charles hugged her closer. 

"But nothing June. Look at the sky, those clouds are your doing. Your a powerful weather witch and I'll be damned if I give you up. I've gone through too much to give up. Captured, tortured, starved I'd do it all again if it meant that I could get to met you" Charles growled his lion adding a rough quality to his voice. 

"WHO HURT YOU" June snarled the sound almost as animalistic as any he could make as thunder lit up the sky. 

"He's dead little witch" Charles soothes, touched that she would get so angry for him. 

June pulled his face with her hands so she could look into his eyes. Her grey eyes looked like swirling storm clouds as she looked at him. 

"And if your past comes back to you I will protect you, or at the very least I'll try. You are beautiful my witch and my desire for you is insatiable" Charles growls into her ear. 

As she pushes up to look at him, the pools of grey in her eyes seem to call to him. Leaning forward his eyes focused on her lips. Stopping short his breathing became ragged pants. Desire welling up but unwilling to cross the line until June wanted to. He gasped as she closed the distance between them. softly pressing her lips to his in a shy kiss. The small gesture caused his simmering desire to become a raging fire. 

"I won't be able to stop if we go further than this" Charles groans hotly pressing June further flushed against his body. 

"Then don't" June whispers. 

And the world falls apart around them, Charles only has eyes for his mate as he claims her. 

********************************************

"Wolves" Joseph's hissed words in Julius' mind has the alpha shifting and rushing to his feet. 

Shifting as he ran Julius tracked the vampires scent. Humphrey, Rose, and Eliza at his sides. A pack. Ready to take out the threat to their pack. Reina was still in school so she wouldn't have to see the outcome of this encounter. Alice was at work too and Julius was thankful that the cub didn't have to be without one of them. 

Shaking his head Julius focuses his mind on the task at hand. Intruders. Snarling Julius pushes faster. When he get to the scene he lets his power flow from him. Taking in the scene, Julius spots three werewolves snapping and snarling at Joseph as the vampire hisses back at them. Fangs bared and dripping with venom. The vampire looked outright deadly and suddenly Julius was glad that Joseph was his friend. Shifting as he walked Julius eyes the three intruders. Beta's all greyish in colour. 

"What are you doing in my territory" The snarled words rip from his throat in a demand. 

Julius waits a few beats as the lead beta shifts. And then Julius sees it. He has the same eyes as Fergus. The wolf who turned him. The man who spent fifty years torturing Julius as his plaything. 

Roaring fiercely Julius starts to lunge for the man but Joseph is there with his hand on the alpha's chest keeping him in place. 

"Stay calm Julius, you can rip them apart soon" Joseph's promised words enter his mind placating his inner wolf. 

"I've come to avenge my brother, our pack kicked us out now that he no longer rules" The beta spits venom lacing his every word. 

"Leave now or die by my hand" Is Julius' only response. 

He's barely holding onto his human form. If Joseph's hand wasn't pressed firmly to his chest he would have charged already. 

"Not happening, I kill you I claim this pack for my own and rule it the same as my brother did ours" the beta snarls, his mouth twisting into an ugly sneer. 

This time Joseph doesn't stop him when he charges as the Vampire launches himself at one of the wolves behind Fergus' brother. Julius shifts as he goes crashing into the beta. Snarling and snapping as the other wolf shifts under him. They roll for what feels like hours. A ball of black and grey fur, gnashing teeth and rending claws. When it is all over Julius is panting heavily, his jaws lifting from the neck of Fergus' brother dripping red with blood. Curling his tail over his back in a show of dominance. A howl ripping out of his throat, his song one of triumph as the three wolves lay dead at his feet. 

Looking around Julius lets out a breath of relief as he spots Eliza unharmed. Then Joseph and then Humphrey and Rose. They were strong and they were his pack. Alice, Reina, Charles and June too. He would never stop protecting them, they were his family.