6 Years Earlier...

In the background, the chorus of their biggest hit fills the air. The massive hall is bathed in a warm, red glow. Onstage, a dark-haired guitarist in blue jeans and a black cowboy hat strums away. The male singer burst into laughter in the recording studio. The camera shifts to a blonde woman, her eyes closed as she croons into the microphone, lost in the music. Then a sold-out stadium where the thunderous roar of thousands of fans fills the air. The women in the front row reach out, trying in vain to touch the male singer. 

The scene changes to the tour bus at night and the dressing room in the depths of a massive arena. Sweat drips from the singer's forehead, his long brown hair soaked, and his blue eyes show weariness. Nearby, the blonde woman seeks a moment of solace, leaning against a gray wall, a cigarette in hand, savoring each drag. Both of them share a candid interview, the air filled with laughter and genuine camaraderie.

Then, the unforgettable moment arrives at the Grammy Awards. They stand proudly on the podium, accepting the coveted award. They express heartfelt gratitude to their family, friends, and, most importantly, their fans, without whom their journey wouldn't have been possible. As they exit the stage, they wave to the adoring crowd...

The documentary's narrative unfolds at a captivating pace, offering glimpses of the rock band's soaring journey to fame. Joined by reporter Francine O'Connor in the studio, Katie and John de Rossi reminisce about their childhood memories and pre-fame experiences. Though naturally guarded, they strive to be truthful and transparent. To add depth, Francine compiles a treasure trove of interviews from family, friends, and acquaintances, providing intriguing insights into what makes the de Rossi siblings so captivating to the world.

Katie, now thirty-four, exudes elegance on a beige Charleston sofa in a luxurious New York hotel suite. A copy of Frida Kahlo's "The Broken Column" graces the background. She wears a short black dress and a white-gold necklace with pendants bearing the initials J and B. With wavy blonde hair and captivating green eyes, Katie's laughter and poise draw attention. Despite her glamorous image, she reflects on her journey, revealing the complexities of fame. In an interview at the beginning of her career, she famously said, "I'm blonde and curvy, with bright eyes and full lips, and they want to turn me into a Marilyn. But I'd rather be a Jackie: a woman with class and style, gentle yet powerful, not trying to hide her intelligence." Later, she revised her statement, admitting that a woman would get on better in life if she were born a fool.

To her right sits her cherished brother, John – four years her senior and an indispensable presence in her life. Wearing faded jeans and a dark shirt, he emanates an aura of handsome confidence. Admired and adored by fans and critics, John de Rossi has always been the center of attention, and one can't help but wonder how he feels about getting older. But then he flashes that mesmerizing smile that has charmed the world for over two decades – a grin that transcends age and captivates hearts.

Completing the trio is Katie's rock icon husband, Bill Bentley. An attractive man of fifty-one, dressed in black jeans that emphasize his still muscular thighs and a white shirt rolled up at the sleeves. When he was young, his wild curls cascaded over his face, but now, his hair is short and neatly groomed.

There they sit, the three most successful musicians of our time, ready to talk about the things that have moved them over the past twenty years and profoundly changed their lives and our world. Before the cameras start recording the interview, Francine O'Connor has one request: "Let's keep the music to a minimum." 

All three stare at her in surprise. What else is there to talk about but the music?

"Most of us were there and are aware of the songs and the bands' history. Those who aren't should go buy a book or research on the internet. There have been far too many documentaries of the sort. We want to see the people behind the music. We want to know what you feel and think, what you experienced, what your life looked like outside the big arenas and stadiums."

The three respond with skeptical nods. Then the cameras are turned on.

Katie speaks first. Her voice is sweet, her tone calm and serious. She wants to show that she has grown up now, no longer an eighteen-year-old, and that she survived the music business without scandals or drug escapades, without disappearing from the face of the earth like so many of her colleagues. She starts at the beginning, as any good storyteller would.

Katie: "We grew up in Diamond Meadow, a small town in New Jersey, population of 13,000 and about twenty miles from Fontaine Park. We were four children. John was the oldest and still is; then came Joey and Charlie. I'm the youngest. My father... sorry, our father... Giovanni Giuseppe de Rossi was born in Italy. The family came to the US when he was a young boy. He grew up in New Jersey, like so many children of Italian descent. But everyone here called him John. Our mother is from Connecticut. Her ancestors were German..."

Katie interrupts her story and reflects. She suddenly seems lost, unsure where to start or what is important for everything that happened afterward. It's the story of her own life, not a work of fiction to be embellished and beautified. She knows what it was like, and how it felt, but she struggles to translate the images in her mind and put them into a form for the people who weren't there from the beginning. Her brother senses her uncertainty and continues the story of their childhood.

John: "We lived in a typical American Foursquare. Four tiny bedrooms on the first floor, two bathrooms, a small front yard with wooden steps leading to a porch, and screen doors at the front and back entrance. It was cozy but nothing special. Typical American, typical working-class. My father... sorry, our father... ran a stationery store in the heart of Diamond Meadow, and when we were older, Ma worked three days a week as a secretary for the only lawyer in town. It was a neighborhood where you could let your children play outside without worrying. Everyone knew each other, and you only had to make three right turns to return to the town square. There was a diner, a few bars, a school, and a town hall... nothing more..."

John's voice grows softer; the image becomes blurry and then turns black. The first commercial break is aired.