24 Years Earlier...

"Can't you stay at John's for the night? I've invited all the cool guys from school and don't want to play babysitter for my weird little sister. Honestly, I already pretend like we're not even related."

"First off, I'm sixteen, not some baby, and secondly, I'm really not in the mood to crash at John's tonight," Katie retorted, her frustration evident. She couldn't decide what irked her more – Joey acting embarrassed of her or the fact that she genuinely wanted to spend the night at Johnny's, but circumstances just wouldn't allow it. A phone call earlier had revealed Johnny's plans for a romantic evening with Vicky. Who would want their younger sister tagging along?

"Trouble in paradise?" Joey jeered, a mocking grin on his face. Instead of responding, Katie shot him a withering glare.

"Fine," she huffed, snatched her purse, and stormed out of the house.

Once outside, with the door shut firmly behind her, she crossed the yard and paused on the street, lighting a cigarette. Her thoughts raced as she contemplated her next move. Disturbing John was definitely out of the question.

After a moment, Katie briskly made her way toward the bus station. As she boarded the bus, a wistful smile tugged at her lips – she realized that tonight she wouldn't have to return home. It was a newfound freedom, an emotion she had never experienced until that very instant. She owed no one an explanation and could let herself be carried away by the night – the world felt wide open, if only for the next few hours.

Katie purchased a ticket from the driver ("Ah, young Miss de Rossi! Where are you off to at this late hour? And without Johnny! It's a rare sight to see you two apart!") and journeyed twenty miles to the neighboring Fontaine Park. Perched right on the shoreline was Unity Hall – a quaint club that hosted various bands five nights a week. She had frequented the place a handful of times when Johnny was performing. He held a deep affection for the venue, partly because his musical idol, Bill Bentley, had taken his first steps towards fame on the very same stage.

Katie strolled along the shoreline for a good ten minutes. The darkness had descended, and she immersed herself in the crashing melody of the sea. The wind tousled her hair as she paused, allowing herself a moment of solace, eyes closed, inhaling the invigorating ocean breeze. "If only time could pause, holding me in this brief comfort," Katie mused. But the unyielding progression of time urged her forward. With a sigh, she continued her unhurried journey, eventually arriving at a modest gray building. Inside, the pulsating beat of music greeted her. A contented smile played on her lips as she handed three dollars to the kindly elderly man at the entrance, striding with feigned confidence across the black-and-yellow checkerboard floor toward the beckoning stage.

The band, whose electrifying rock melodies had previously filled the air, was now concluding their performance. Between verses, the lead singer introduced his fellow musicians to the audience, expressing gratitude for their support. As the final chord reverberated, the ensemble bid their farewells and retreated backstage. Lost in her own thoughts – secretly hopeful that Joey would be stood up by his companions tonight, leaving him to spend the entire night alone – Katie's reverie was abruptly interrupted. A middle-aged man stepped into the spotlight, announcing the next act.

To Katie's astonishment, none other than the illustrious Bill Bentley stood before her.

A live performance by Bill had eluded her thus far, her interest never having been fervent enough to pursue such an opportunity. Yet, as the accomplished and charismatic Bill Bentley took the stage, even Katie de Rossi couldn't resist his magnetic charm. A chorus of cheers and applause erupted from the surrounding crowd as Bill slung his guitar over his shoulder.

"Greetings, Fontaine Park," he addressed the audience. "It's a pleasure to be back on familiar ground."

The applause swelled, and though Katie refrained from joining the clapping and shouts of approval, her eyes remained fixated on the enigmatic figure before her. Bill exuded the confidence of a man who had conquered the world, cognizant of his influence yet bearing it with graceful humility. His performance seamlessly blended exuberance and dedication, every note meticulously designed to captivate the audience.