Chapter 1-Dusty Books and Boredom

Get up. Get ready. Eat something small. Tend the garden. Feed the cuccos. Wash clothes. Eat breakfast.

That is how my morning has gone every single day for as long as I can remember. And I long to break free from it.

Life in Hateno Village is quiet. Simple. Completely and utterly boring.

This is what I think of often. I don't have anyone to talk to other than the people I've grown up around. I don't have family—my parents died in a in an ambush by some monsters a long time ago.

I have no siblings. Though I'm friendly with everyone, my only true friends are Prima, who is like an older sister to me, and Purah. I don't know a lot about the crazy scientist, other than she lived during the calamity but still physically looks like she's around the age of seven.

How this is possible, I have no idea. But I completely believe it from the way people in town talk of her age and how realistic her stories of the calamity are.

Everyone else in Hateno is almost...scared...of Purah. They all leave her alone and began to look at me strangely when I began making my trek up to her lab a couple years ago. Maybe they don't go up there because of all the signs lining the last stretch of the path to the lab. Or the sheikah statue resting over the door, decorated with strange glasses and an umbrella. Or the papers that were scattered on the roof, lining the precariously built wood ramp that curled around the building.

Really any of it could freak out the traditional, orderly Hateno villagers. But I found refuge in its messy, not orderly, certainly not traditional design.

Since I started coming up to the lab, I've learned a lot. Such as ancient structures contain treasures and puzzles, Purah has a strange affinity for monster cake, and Hyrule still has a chance to prevail against Ganon. Again, how this is possible, I have absolutely no idea.

All these thoughts went through my head as I climbed up the path leading me to Purah's lab. I pushed open the wooden door and scanned the familiar scene.

Purah, on top of a chair, looking down at a table of notes, papers scattered haphazardly across the floor, the dormant terminal on the platform I was told to never ever touch, and Purah's assistant, Symin scanning the bookshelves.

Purah looked up at me and squealed. "(Y/n) you're back! You're back! You're back! That is totes awesome-sauce! Come! I have things to show you!"

I grinned. "Purah, I saw you, like, two days ago. Okay, what do you have to show me?"

She waved a blueprint of something called a guardian in my face. I took it quickly and examined it. Apparently they roamed around Hyrule field, eliminating any of the five main races that they come across. Those races being Hylian, Zorah, Sheikah, Goron, and Gerudo.

They had lasers that shot lethal beams of blue energy and could crawl around the ground, fly, stay stationary, and maybe other things we haven't discovered.

I narrowed my eyes at the drawing. Purah giggled as she leaned over my shoulder. "How do we kill it?" I wondered out loud.

Purah points gleefully at its small pink eye. "Okay, (Y/n), you see that? Hit that baby in the eye a couple times and you win! That's it's weak point!"

I nodded. "So. If these all roam around Hyrule field, how can we kill one without expecting three more to pop up? Is there any way to shut them down, all at once?"

Purah frowned. "Well, they all are controlled by Ganon so in theory, if you destroy Ganon, they all will fall dormant; eliminating the threat."

I replied glumly. "But we can't destroy Ganon..."