Chapter Two: Stablehands

As the sun had started to rise from the golden and blue sky, the people of Jarlaheim had started getting ready to start their day. The sound of the birds could be heard in the morning. The adults had started heading towards nearby markets or started heading towards work. The teenagers had started working their morning jobs or meeting up with each other. While the kids had started helping their parents, playing with their older siblings or playing with their pets.
Many of the people takes in pride of the unique nature and vibrant beauty of Jorvik. One could almost feel sorry for all the people who had never experienced the beautiful island they called home.
But at Jorvik Stables, where some stablehands were gathering their plates of breakfasts and sat down at the seats at the Jorvik Stables Arena.
The camera soon turned to Erika, who was quietly gathering her breakfast of two pancakes covered in syrup and butter, bacon, and sausages.
As she walked towards the seats, she sat on the empty seats and started eating her breakfast there alone. Her eyes flickered towards the other stablehands, but she looked away quickly whenever they saw her. She doesn't feel like belongs with the other stablehands and the riders. 
"Crash!" She and the stablehands glanced at the stables, startled and curious at the sound of screaming and panicked whinnying in the courtyard. "Look out!" It was quickly followed by Herman's voice. "Put her back in the stables." At that, the noise became less and less.
Erika looked pretty curious as she finished her breakfast. She stood up and put her empty paper plate in the trash can.
The scene soon changed into the inside of the stables. Erika gazed around warily when she spotted one of the riders. Alex was in the aisle of one of the stables, grooming Tin-Can. He was chewing on a hay bale that had slid down onto the floor. A saddle, bridle, and a saddlebag of the same distinctive model that some riders had were all lying on the stool next to them.
"Oh, hi, Erika!" Alex waved to her with a bright smile. "I'm glad to see you. This is Tin-Can." Alex stroked her stallion gently. "My best friend."
"Is Tin-Can yours?" Erika asked Alex curiously. "I'm not sure how this works here yet."
"Tin-Can's mine," explained Alex. "My mentor and Herman helped me get Tin-Can."
Erika took the brush and curry comb from Alex and started grooming Tin-Can with her friend's assistance. "What breed is he? I can't quite tell... Is he a mix?"
"He's a Starbreed," explained Alex as she helped groom Tin-Can. "Here on Jorvik, they have every type of horse in the world." She laughed and stroked Tin-Can's groomed flank. "I think they're still trying to figure out their exact ancestry.  Some scientists believe that Starbreeds like Tin-Can are distantly related to some rare ancient horses that originated on the island." Alex smirked playfully and laughed as Tin-Can nudged her playfully. "Some people even say that Starbreed horses have magical abilities."
Erika just nodded to indicate she was listening, but she seems unsure how to respond to it.
Alex seemed to feel Erika's loneliness and sadness. She gently placed a hand on Erika's shoulder. Erika's eyes lit up a bit and she cracked a smile at Alex's surprisingly gentle comfort.
Erika walked behind the girls as they led horses into the stables and the horses would each get their own clean, spacious, sawdust-scented stall. The riders would also get hay and fresh water for the horses, but Erika helped give the feed and water to the horses. She currycombed the horses, cleaned out their hooves, and combed their tangled manes.
But she remained silent as groups of friends as she continued working. She kept out of everyone's way. She barely spoke a word to anyone.
Once she was done with her chores, she went outside and looked around warily. Her eyes gained a thoughtful look in her eyes as she gazed at the stables.
"Hey, Erika!" She turned to look at Stein as he walked towards her. "You're free from your chores. You can hang around the town for a bit if you want."
Erika eyed him warily. "Sure. Sounds interesting." She started walking away from the stables and towards the town.