Midnight practise

Drops of water hit the wood one by one. Slowly, they slid from the bare arms holding the sword with delicate hands. White lines, hidden mostly by pieces of clothing, peaked from the shoulders. Tense muscles, swinging, sidestepping and balancing the body it owned, lowered the long sword gradually, the tip slowly touching the wooden deck. (h/c) locks swayed in the sea breeze in the darkness of the night, only accompanied by the flicker of the small flame in the lantern somewhere near. Your face was contorted in concentration, brows furrowed and eyes hard.

Chatter of the crew had long died down, each one of them having laid down and snore the night away. Waves hit the side of the ship gently, barely rocking it from side to side. A lone seagull, swaying up and down with every wave that passed, was lit in the moonlight. No dark clouds, no rain to await. Iron scraped the deck, nicking the wood as the tip of the sword dropped down too fast. The stern face cringed at the contact, your mind replaying the last time something like this had happened. With both hands you raised the sword and placed it away carefully. Sweat rolled down your brow, leaving streaks on your cheeks in their wake.

Rapid padding of footsteps echoed in the air before being swallowed by the calming sounds of the deep blue sea. After making your way to the workroom your captain locks himself up most of the time, you ran back into the chilling air, almost falling down on your knees in front of the swallow nick. A thick and sticky dark fluid was filling up the missing wood, your fingers working as careful as possible not to miss a spot with the coating.

Heavy steps neared your kneeling figure and you looking up immediately as the sound reached you. Blond locks, drifting in the breeze, moved to the side, revealing the blue and white mask adorning Killer's face. (e/c) eyes wandered over the male from low to high, eyes resting on the mask itself. Killer's arms were crossed over his chest upon stopping his track. Silence rose up from its depths. No gentle whisper from the sea, no loving caress of the spring air. Everything seemed to have holding their breath, waiting for the scolding you were sure to endure. With your head tilted down, you quickly got to your feet, one hand draped over your other arm, slowly rubbing away the upcoming goose bumps from prying eyes.

Your heartbeat thudded in your ears in embarrassment, hiding the thuds of combat boots hitting the deck. Blond hair and a blue shirt filled your line of sight as two fingers started to lift your chin ever so slowly. "Practising isn't a bad thing, you know?" His baritone voice seemed like a whisper. The small amount of warmth provided by the simple gesture left as soon as his hand lowered down again. "You're doing better than most of the crew." Killer breathed with a chuckle.

Your lips curled up just a little bit upon hearing this statement as your eyes mirrored the flicker of the flame behind Killer's form. Soon, that smile was replaced by a deep frown. "But I'm still not strong enough." You muttered solemnly, eyes casted down once again. "Kid will throw me overboard if I'm not getting way better."

"That's why you're training, right?" You nodded your answer to his question. "Then I'll train with you. It's not like I have anything else to do up there." Killer said, pointing his finger up towards the crow's nest. (e/c) irises gleamed of happiness and a smile reappeared on your face. Killer's face came closer as he leaned forward a little. "But you have to work hard."

With a short salute you grinned up at him and nodded quickly. You heard the rumble of a low chuckle escaping his chest and right then and there, you were happy it was pretty dark next to the soft glow of the flame. A soft hue of red dusted your cheeks and you quickly went and grabbed your sword, getting into ready in your stance. Killer's knees bend just a little bit, you copying him as he readied his scythes. He ran up at you with a start and your eyes widened before you deflected his attack. "Do you want to kill me already?" You heaved, pushing the bulky man back with all your might, slashing after him but missing as he flipped back.