chapter six

2727 words

"Stop taking it easy on me, Panda!" The girl spun through the air and swung the escrima stick down, hitting the animal. 

Megumi and Nobara were beyond confused when the girl returned to her normal self after returning for the morgue, as if she'd forgotten about the boy who was killed in front of her.

"What's wrong with her?!" Panda yelled out to the students watching.

Maki sighed in annoyance, blowing a bit of her fringe out of the way. "She does looks a lot different then when we saw her leaving a few days ago." She agreed. "Salmon." Inumaki agreed.

Megumi stared at his best friend with an intense look in his eyes- while Nobara stared at Megumi with a confused look. "Why are you staring at her like that, I don't think she's interested in you."

Megumi's head snapped down to the girl who was rubbing her pounding head from being swung around by Panda, "ew, I'm not interested in her like that, thanks." He spoke in disgust. 

"Asami." 

The two students on the field immediately stopped fighting, looking towards the skilled sorcerer. She swung her staff around her head before planting it back into her outreached hand that faced Asami.

"Now, you fight me."

Nobara and Asami walked through the dilapidated building. "Is there a reason we're on this mission?" The former questioned. Asami shrugged, "we wanted to go shopping, we need money." She replied. Nobara sighed, "can't you ask Gojo-Sensei for money? He is rich and like, your dad right?"

Asami shook her head, "he's not my dad, he's my guardian." She clarified. Nobara let out a sigh, looking around the old shopping centre. "Potato, 'potahto'." She responded. "This is good experience, you want to become a high grade right?" Asami reminded.

Nobara nodded at the girl. "Yeah, Grade Three sounds pathetic. . ." She replied. Asami let out a hum, "for a first year, Grade Three is really good." She smiled, reassuring the girl beside her. "Course you'd say that, you and Fushiguro are a Grade Two already." Nobara huffed, jealousy fuelling her words. 

Asami brushed past Nobara's rude tone and smiled at the girl, understanding where she was coming from. "Can I tell you a secret, but you can't tell Maki. . ." Asami began. Nobara looked towards the girl, her eyes widening slightly in excitement. "Maki-Senpai is a Grade Four." Nobara stopped walked, turning her attention onto Asami fully. 

"What?!" The girl yelled in shock. Asami shushed the girl and nodded at her.

"Megumi and I have been trained under the greatest sorcerer for the past ten years, and Megumi retained the prized Ten Shadows Technique of the Zenin clan. . . but Maki would destroy the both of us in a fight. You're one of the most confident and talented people I've met Kugisaki, don't let some stupid ranking get in the way. If it doesn't affect Maki, it shouldn't affect you."

Nobara's face turned red and her chest swelled with pride. Standing straight and raising her chin, the brunette nodded at her friend beside her. "Right. I'm so thankful you're my classmate, I don't know what I'd do if I was stuck with Fushiguro the whole time."

Asami let out a bright laugh, shaking her head slightly. "That's been me the past ten years." There was no sign of the curse as the girls continued to walk through the old shopping centre. "Say Himari. . . I've never actually heard of the Himari clan before, where is it you were living?" Nobara questioned suddenly.

Asami froze in her tracks, extremely taken aback from the question. "Well. . . it's because it's not a real name." The girl confessed. "I changed my name when I was twelve. When I learned who my father was and what he'd done."