04

For me, the best part of summer was the thing most people would never guess; getting a job

For me, the best part of summer was the thing most people would never guess; getting a job. During the school year, I was way too busy with school to even think of getting a job but now that summer was here I was free to make money. Two days into my stay at Cousins I got a job at Pizza & Pizza and Pizza. It was the only family-owned pizza store that delivered in Cousins and since the owner loved my grandma he would let me work there for the next few weeks I was in town. Today was my second day there. I had driven my grandma's punch buggy to work. It was technically mine but since mom had to drive her car back she never trusted me to drive the buggy back home solo so it stayed in Cousins and was mine during our time here. 

I drove to work with the windows down, listening to Cruel Summer. My hair flew back with the wind. It was perfect summer vibes. My hair was still straight, despite the heat and humidity. Mom and grandma would kill me for saying this, but part of me likes my hair better straight. It's less work and it's calmer. 

I know it's only a matter of time before it curls up but I'd enjoy wearing it straight for as long as I could. 

I don't mind work. I was a delivery driver so all I really did was talk with my coworkers while I waited for an order and then once it came I got to drive around while blasting my music. I truly loved my job.

I got off at ten that night. My hair was still in a ponytail and I still wore my uniform and visor as I walked to my car. 

"Jude!" I turned at the sound of my voice and saw my coworker, Zoey, running out the door with a pizza in hand. "I know you're off but could you pretty please deliver this pizza? My car won't start." I smiled and took the pizzas from her hands. I glanced at the address and realized it was in the same neighborhood as my grandma's house. Zoey was only sixteen so I know she was freaking out over her car, even though it'd probably be an easy fix. I'd give her a jump right now if I had cables. "Yeah, of course!" Zoey placed both hands on my shoulders. "You're a lifesaver, thank you. I'll give you gas money." I waved her off. 

"Don't worry about it. It's in my neighborhood anyway." Zoey gave me a look that said she would still be sending me the money before checking her phone. "This is triple-A. Thank you!" She ran off in the direction of her car. I slid into my own and headed toward the house. 

As I drove, I settled for music since I couldn't call Millie. The worst part of her trips to France was the time difference. Love Of My Life by Harry Styles played off my Late Night Driving playlist. By the time I finished that and Cigarette Daydreams, I was at the house. 

I turned off my car and got out with the pizza. I walked up to the front door. The house was as big as my grandma's but seemed more modern. 

I rang the doorbell and plastered my work smile on my face. 

I just about dropped the pizza when I saw who opened the door. My mouth dropped open and Steven Conklin's face matched mine with shock. "What are you doing here?" We asked at the same time.