Chapter 5

*Flashback Seven Years Ago*

Ava's Pov

"Ava," Matty says in a sweet but husky tone. "I have something I've always wanted to say to you."

"Yeah? What is it?" I asked slowly while batting my eyes lashes.

He walks in closer to me then he place my small hands in his big ones. I felt the air from my lungs vanish in an instant, and I suddenly forgot how to breathe. Cupping the side of my face with one hand he said, "I love you, I've always have, but I was never able to talk to you face to face. Well, until now anyways. Will you be my girlfriend?"

I looked into his sparkling grey eyes and said...

--

"Ava wake up!"

I was dreaming of my high school crush, Matthew Parker. He had just declared his undying love for me when I was rudely awoken.

I jolted awake at the sound of my mother's voice.

"What?" I snapped

I hated being woken up, especially when I'm dreaming about Matty.

"Don't use that tone with me." she warned. "Your going to be late to school. Go get ready, I'll bring you today."

I mumbled profanities under my breath and went to the bathroom. I took a very quick shower and got dressed in a black hoodie and washed out jeans with my worn out vans.

I pulled my hair into a ponytail and placed my glasses on my face.

I was freaking out about going to school, all they ever did was make fun of me, I had many pimples on my face, Huge glasses and my hair was a rats nest.

No wonder Matty wouldn't look at me.

"Ava are you ready?" My mother called out from the kitchen.

"Yeah I'll be right down!" I yelled back.

I grabbed my backpack and my phone and raced down the stairs meeting my mom by the front door.

--

We were five minutes away from school and I was trying everything in my power to convince my mom to turn the car around.

"Ava stop trying! Your going to school and that's final." she said sternly.

I sighed knowing that none of my attempts would work.

She stopped in front of the school and I quickly got out of the car closing the door behind me.

She rolled down the window and said "I love you!"

I just kept walking straight on. I was still upset that she wouldn't let me stay home. The beginning of the day is always the worst. It's like reliving the day before over and over again, but after a couple hours I tune all the whispers and snickering comments out.

I walked inside the building and people immediately started to stare. I put my head down and tried and tried to ignore the paper balls that were being thrown at me.

I walked to my locker and saw the one girl I was hoping on not running into this morning. Her mission in life was to make mine a living hell. Her name was Lily White. Tall, beautiful, popular.

She was everything I wasn't.

I knew Lily and Matt all my life. We grew up in the same neighborhood but, me and Lily were never really friends. We were kind of mutual acquaintances if that made any sense, but I remembered in the seventh grade everything changed. I started getting really bad acne all over my face. I'd tried a lot of stuff to get rid of it, but all my efforts failed. Bad skin wasn't the only thing that was the start of my tragic life.