Chapter 7

Os Alta

The days went through and Alina was even more curious about Kaida than ever. After the attack, she rode with The Darkling and she didn't let a single tear out and it didn't pass much time when she stopped shaking and her gaze changed to a cold one and she took the control of the horse, who appeared to like it more.

Neither The Darkling or Kaida spoke to Alina or anyone, just between them.

"Are you okay?" he asked her in a whisper.

"Yes, my reaction was more because he was a Fjerdand and because he remembered me. I shouldn't have reacted like that" she said coldly.

"What exactly happened?" he asked again.

"We stopped because of a fallen tree and then they started to attack us. I told Alina to stay quiet and down. We stayed like that for a few minutes and then two Fjerdands opened the doors of the coach and one of them took Alina from her ankle and the other one took me. I started to fight and I used my small science to knock him out and then I tried to run to help Alina but another Fjerdan took me from my ankle making me hit the floor really hard. He got on top of me and—"

"Kaida Deveraux. Do you recognize this symbol?" he asked with mockery, putting up his sleeve showing the symbol of a black circle with a white star in the middle. "He would pay me a lot of money for you," he said with a smile.

"Kaida?" The Darkling looked at her confused when she stopped talking.

She shook her head pushing the fear and memories back to the box she put them long ago and continue."And he told me that he remembered me from the camp of Fjerdands you saved me two years ago and he started to pulling me away from the fight so I used the cut"

"Did you do it on purpose?" he asked kindly.

"No, I was scared so I let my small science come out to protect me," Kaida said, looking at her horse.

"You did what you had to do to protect yourself. Don't be ashamed to survive" he said with a sweet tone.

✴✴✴

On the fifth night they stopped to rest. The Darkling got off the horse first and then offered Kaida his hand to help her. She left out a small laugh and got off the horse to see Alina getting off her horse really awkwardly. She smiled and walked towards the small river to wash her hands a little bit and then she looked at Alina, who was doing the same thing but with a smile on her face.

"What are you smiling at?" The Darkling asked.

Alina didn't answer, she kept quiet. Kaida could feel that she didn't want to share what she was thinking of.

"Well?" The Darkling insisted.

"Myself," she admitted.

"Are you that funny?"

"I'm hilarious" Kaida smiled with the memorie that that conversation brought.

Flashback

Kaida was on Sturmhond's boat as usual, looking at the sea remembering her friend Jake and their moments together with a smile on her face.

"What are you laughing at?" Sturmhond interrupted her thoughts.

"Why can't you just leave me alone?" Kaida asked, frustrated, turning to look at him.

"'Cause I love seeing you smile, and that doesn't happen very often, so I have to take advantage of it," the red haired privateer said. "So...? What were you laughing for?"