Chapter 1: Blood Moon

The moon hung low in the sky, casting an eerie glow on the deserted path as Zack stumbled home from his first ever University party. He swayed slightly, the alcohol still coursing through his veins, making it difficult to keep his thoughts straight. Basketball tryouts were tomorrow, and he couldn't shake the gnawing anxiety that had taken root in the pit of his stomach. What if he didn't make the team? What would he do then?

"BOO!" a voice suddenly shouted, causing Zack's heart to leap into his throat.

"Jesus, Rob!" he gasped, clutching his chest. "You almost gave me a heart attack!"

His roommate emerged from the bushes, grinning devilishly. "Sorry, man," he said, not sounding sorry at all. "I couldn't resist."

"Whatever," Zack muttered, shaking off the lingering adrenaline. "Come on, let's get back to the dorm. I need some sleep if I'm going to have any chance at tryouts tomorrow."

As they walked, Rob started chattering excitedly about their new life at University. "Can you believe we're finally here? It feels like just yesterday we were getting our acceptance letters."

"Time flies, I guess," Zack agreed, nodding absentmindedly. He was too preoccupied with his own thoughts to fully engage in the conversation, but Rob seemed content to do most of the talking anyway.

"Man, I can't wait to see what this year has in store for us," Rob continued, his enthusiasm practically bubbling over. "New friends, new experiences... it's going to be incredible."

"Let's just hope we don't screw it up," Zack said, half-jokingly. He knew he was more nervous than he wanted to admit, and he suspected Rob felt the same way.

"Hey, watch your step there," Rob warned as they rounded a bend, but it was too late. Zack's foot caught on the uneven sidewalk, and he tripped, stumbling into a clearing.

"Ouch! What the hell?" he grumbled, rubbing his shin as he glanced around.

"Whoa," Rob whispered, his eyes wide with shock. "I think we just walked into a crime scene."

Zack followed Rob's gaze and saw it: police tape cordoning off an area of the clearing, evidence markers scattered about, and a few discarded latex gloves lying on the ground.

"Shit," Zack murmured, feeling suddenly sober. "We need to get out of here."

"Hey!" a voice called out sharply. "What are you two doing here?"

Startled, they turned to see Lindsay, a rookie police officer, marching towards them with a stern expression."Uh, we were just..." Zack stammered, struggling to find an explanation. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest, she is going to know I have been drinking for sure he thought. "We, uh, we are...." He trailed off, unable to form a sentence as his fear blended with the alcohol.

"Leaving," Rob finished for him, grabbing Zack's arm and pulling him away from the crime scene.

"Be more careful next time," Lindsay warned, her voice softer now but still firm. "You never know what kind of danger you might stumble into at night."

"Thanks," Zack mumbled, his face flushing with embarrassment. "We will."

As they took a few large steps back behind the yellow tape, Zack couldn't help but feel a shiver of unease snake its way down his spine. He knew that life at University would be full of surprises, but this was one twist he could have done without.

"Rob," he said quietly, "let's make sure we stick together, okay? I don't want either of us getting into any more trouble than necessary."

"Deal," Rob agreed, gripping Zack's shoulder reassuringly. "We're in this together, no matter what." Rob's gaze drifted from his friend back to the crime scene " Starting tomorrow." Rob said as he turned back toward Lindsay.