Chapter 11: Learning Something New

Zack strolled through Waterloo Park, laden with plastic bags full of colorful junk food he'd just purchased from Valu-mart. The sun reflected off the small lake, casting shimmering ripples across its surface. It was a peaceful afternoon, the kind that made one feel as though nothing could go wrong. However, Zack couldn't shake the nagging feeling in the back of his mind – the sense that someone was watching him.

"Probably just being paranoid," he muttered to himself, frowning as he scanned the landscape for any signs of danger. He suddenly realized the lack of people in the park, weird, he thought.

His vessel abilities allowed him to perceive more than the average person, but even with this heightened awareness, he couldn't pinpoint the source of his unease. He continued walking, trying to focus on the crunch of leaves beneath his feet and the distant laughter of children playing.

Suddenly, a masked figure clad in black burst from the tree line, charging straight toward Zack. His heart raced as adrenaline surged through his veins. Without thinking, he launched the groceries at his attacker, cans of soda and bags of chips flying through the air like deadly projectiles.

"Who are you?" Zack shouted, his voice laced with fear and anger. "What do you want?"The figure dodged his improvised weaponry, closing in on Zack with supernatural speed. In an instant, they had him pinned against the chain link fence surrounding the small park zoo, the startled whinnies of ponies echoing through the air.

"Let me go!" Zack snarled, struggling against the iron grip of his assailant. But despite his best efforts, he couldn't break free.

"Zack, calm down," the masked figure whispered, their voice strangely familiar. They removed the mask, revealing the face of Ethel, her dark eyes full of concern.

"Ethel!" Zack gasped, equal parts relieved and bewildered. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Testing you," she replied, her tone matter-of-fact. "You need to be prepared for anything."

"By attacking me in broad daylight?" Zack snapped, his anger flaring. He could feel the demon within him stirring, eager to lash out at the perceived threat. It took everything he had to control it, his eyes flickering as he took deep breaths.

"Exactly," Ethel said, releasing her grip on him. "You can't let your guard down, not even for a moment. Especially with Gluttony still out there. Do you really think a sin would care about the time of day?" The police had blamed the black bear for the previous attacks and lifted the curfew, they said the bear showed signs of rabies, but the truth was Gluttony was still out there planning their next move.

Zack took another deep breath, trying to calm his racing heart. He knew Ethel was right, but the fear and adrenaline still coursed through his veins, making it difficult to think rationally.

"Okay," he said finally, his voice steadier than before. "I get it. But next time, maybe give me a heads up?"

Ethel smirked, a glint of amusement in her eyes. "Where would be the fun in that?"

Zack rolled his eyes, though he couldn't suppress a small smile. Despite her unconventional methods, he knew Ethel was only trying to help him gain control over his powers – and perhaps more importantly, the darkness growing inside him. And for that, he was grateful.

Ethel knelt down and began to pick up the scattered groceries, her nimble fingers collecting the colorful packages of junk food. Zack joined her, a mix of embarrassment and annoyance fueling his movements.

"Here," Ethel said, handing him a bag of chips. "You'll need your energy for our next round of training."

"Training?" Zack echoed, snatching the bag from her grasp. "You mean we aren't done for the day? Are you just going to start randomly attacking me any time you feel like it?"