P ¹/³

"Girl of Fire"
.

.
.
.
.

"They leer at me... they always do... You did too. You humans are so foolish to be blinded by lust so easily." The girl speaks with a mouth full of flesh and cartilage; completely abandoning her previous delicate mannerisms. Her slender hands hold the deceased man's calf to her face as she feasts on his corpse.

Bloodstained lips curl into a wry smirk as her vibrant eyes trail to the face of her meal. "It's such a shame, you were quite handsome too."

Then suddenly, she halts. A pungent scent wafts into the lifeless brothel and permeates into her nostrils; the scent so strong it overpowers that of the blood that soaked the walls, and herself.

Smoke...

Before she could even gather her bearings the room grew brighter as flames seemingly erupted from beneath the tatami mats, from the walls and doorways.

She shrieked as the ravenous fire latched onto her kimono and climbed its way up quickly as lightning. She howled in pain as she ran to the cracked shoji door leading outside, her unfinished meal long forgotten; the fire breaching her nagajuban and blistering her skin.

As she stumbled out onto the grass she could feel the flesh of her scalp beginning to melt and smell the scent of her beautiful hair being eaten up by the flames.

In front of her eyes were multiple pairs of feet, those belonging to the families of the countless men she had slain and eaten. They had connected the dots it seemed, after so many years of her existence going unnoticed by them. Now, they all stood before her each one of them with torch in hand and snarl in expression.

She felt the veins in her head bulge and expand as her pupils became slits; her disguise quickly coming undone in her moment of weakness. For the first time in her long life as a demon, she felt fear; fear of the pain that she was to be subjected to, fear of the flames that fought so hard to turn her to ash.

"Demon!"

"Give me back my husband, you monster!"

"Kill the demon!"

"Let us avenge the ones that she stole from us!"

"Kill her!"

"Burn her!"

"BURN HER!"

"BURN HER!"

She sobbed into her hands as her melted flesh repaired itself at a slow pace

She was alone now, sitting in the engawa in the fetal position. Her eyes stared blankly at her bare feet which were covered in blood. Her fleshy obi sash was wrapped around her body like a loose cocoon as she hugged herself with them.

"How could they... how dare they... it hurts... that wasn't fair... humans never play fair..." Her voice was hoarse as she spoke; throat sore from all of the pained howls she released.

She looked at all the bodies of the villagers littering the ground; their corpses in pieces, flung about the grass at random. Her mouth had never watered, nor had her stomach even growled for them. She did not hunger for them in the slightest. She couldn't bring herself to ingest something that had just harmed her so much just hours ago.

No, she would leave them there so that they would be found by their children. No! Better yet, she would eat their children. There was no more fitting punishment for damaging her perfect body. But she could go about that later, for now, she would just sit here for a while and heal herself.

R u s t l e

Her head snapped to the source of the noise; eyes meeting the abyssal black orbs of another. A demon, a lesser one at that. It was quite small, only about the size of a medium-breed dog. It resembled a horribly mutated caterpillar of some sort, its mucus-covered skin being a sickly pale green-grey in color.

"You have some nerve entering my territory, worm! State your business! If I find it important I may let you leave partially intact." She growled at it, more of her flashy obi sashes bursting from her back and racing toward the smaller demon, stopping just an inch short of it.

The lesser demon flinches violently, sweat pouring down its face as it meekly speaks. "I‐I mean no ill intent, Madam! I only c-came due to the powerful scent of blood. I'm s-simply hungry. That is all I assure you."

The creature shrinks down in submission, its eyes observing her injured form. An idea sparks in its mind, this may be a solid way to ensure its survival during this encounter.

"M-madam! If I may... I noticed that you haven't eaten any of these humans... P-perhaps they are not to your liking?" It spoke cautiously, gauging her reaction to each word that left its lips.

"They are not. What of it." She demanded, her fleshy obi sashes giving the smaller demon a bit more space as she relaxed a bit. Her eyes were narrowed at it; irises partially obscured by her lashes.

"Well... I can i-imagine that you would rather heal yourself fully before moving about... And I- I can sense some young humans in the village... I-If you would allow me, I could go and fetch one for you." The lesser demon suggests, slowly gaining more confidence as its plan was working.

She narrows her eyes even further as her fleshy oni sashes slowly return to her. She was not even worried about it running away, as she would heal and simply kill it before it could.

Her head tilted in thought; perhaps this worm could have some use. "You think so? Alright then, fetch me a little human or two and I will make some use of you. Worry not, I am a woman of my word." She says with a devilish smirk, wiping the tears from her face as she crosses her legs.

The smaller demon nods before quickly going deeper into the village to finish its part of the deal.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

「A/N」[Next chapter: Prologue 2/3!]