CHAPTER 2 : HEEJIN

"Heejina ! " , said Ji-Mina while running towards me.

"Ji-Mina, what are you doing here?" i said stopping hanging clothes.

"You are here? I searched for you whole palace now, but why are you doing laundry work? isnt it Myeongi work? She again put you on this?" growled Ji-mina.

"No, its just she had some important work so i am helping her"

"Like what? Starring at male officials?" said Ji-mina in sarcastic tone.

"HEEJINA~~" I heard a voice signing my name behind me and turned around.

"Myeongi you just wait there, how did you again threw your work to heejina? I said if i get you caught doing it again-" said ji-mina after spotting myeongi back of me.

Seeing Ji-mina, myeongi starts running and Ji-mina starts chasing her. I stood there watching them running and giggling feeling lucky to have them as my bestfriends. These two are my happy source since i came to this palace 2 years back as a court maid. I never wanted to come here. I hated palace, the royal family. I wanted something else but my father forced me to come here but still I sometimes wonder how my life would be if i never came here. 

" You are more beautiful to me than the moon  heejina , I will always love you"

"Heejina ! " shouted Ji-mina breaking my recollection of the past.

"Sorry what?" i said coming back to reality.

"You really are gonna do everything she says? Myeongi is always like this" she growled.

I laughed and said "Don't you think its lunch time? So lets go and eat" 

I wrapped my arms around them and went to dinning room.

"Guys, did you know?" said Myeongi while stuffing her face with bun.

"what?" asked Ji-mina, eyes filled with curiosity.

Myeongi checked the surroundings to make sure no one is listening and came closer and said 

"Yesterday the king was beaten again"

"Again?", I said in shock as now a days its being too frequent that king is being beaten by Queen Dowager.

"Aigoo, but what happened this time?" asked Ji-mina.

"King suggested an alternative solution to the recent flood problem that constricted with Queen Dowager announcement" said Myeongi.

"HUH? why did he suggested in first place when he know nothing of politics, he better be quite then." said Ji-mina.

"Ji-mina ! you should not say that. No matter what, he is your king" i said while getting up 

"I have to water plants so bye guys!" i said and came out of that place because i didn't want to be part of the that discussion where we criticized our own king.

I came to the back garden, its the only place in palace which is too beautiful. Away from noises, filled with warmth, bunch of flowers but you know the best part? No one actually comes here so I feel as if I am the owner of this little wooden house and this beautiful garden. As I was watering plants, I kept remembering Ji-min words, I don't know why but it just angered me.

"I don't understand. Why everyone is criticizing the king? Talking in his own court is something he should not do? Is it so big sin that he must beaten for it? No matter what, why every one is talking ill of him? He is after all the king of this land, No one has-"

"What do you know that you are running your mouth?" said a male voice. I looked around and found no one.

"From where did i hear it? was i hearing things?" i mumbled to myself.

"Look up you idiot." said that voice and i instantly looked up.

I saw a man in his early 20's taking rest on the tree branch. He looked pretty nice. Big eyes, broad shoulders, correctly tanned.He had an aura of something great. But given his dressing he would not even be a court official. He wore blue colour dress no ornaments nothing. Rather than saying he is being humble, one can say he is broke. But the good looks as his can bring him out of poverty anytime, if he marries a high official daughter I bet they will die to.

"What are you doing up there?" I asked.

He raised a eyebrow and jumped from the tree.

"I should be asking that question, what are you doing here?" he asked arrogantly.

"Are you blind? Cant you see i am watering the plants?" I replied.

"Who do you think you are to speak to me like that?" He got angered.

"Are you really blind or what? I am court maid cant you see?" I said.

"How dare a lowly court maid-"

"Lowly what? How dare you to speak to a king's woman like that?" I said interrupting him.

"What? King's woman? Do you really think you are king's woman?" he said mocking me.

"All court maids are king's woman, don't you even know that?" I fired back.

"Even if you are king's woman,What so great about being  puppet king's woman?" He said.

"How dare you to disrespect the king? " i shouted

"As if you respect that puppet king" he said as if he knew.

"He is not a puppet king. He is the great king of this nation and yes i do respect him, even admire him." 

"Did you ever even meet the king to say you respect him? let alone the admire", he asked in disbelief.

"I never met him nor do i even know how he looks but i heard of him many times, that he gets often beaten up for saying his opinion, for clamming his right, for suggesting minor things , for talking without permission in the court, trying to come out of his mom's skirt, what a fool would do that? I mean he is getting humiliated in front of his own subordinates and embarrassed in front of whole nation every single day. He must be out of his mind right? He can be in his limits right, just be the puppet king everyone thinks he is then his own life would also be easy right? He is just so stupid." I said turning towards him.

His face was burning with anger and little bit of some other expression i cant put my finger on, was it sadness? or helplessness? or what? His eyes were burning with anger after hearing my answer. He was so angry that his veins were about to pop out.

"How dare you insult the king? You low life-" 

"But dont you think thats admirable?" I said interrupting him.

"Huh? Admirable?" his face was filled with confusion.

Looking upto sky  i said softly,

"No matter how much the whole world is against him. His is fighting for the right cause. Though he has no power, no voice he is still keeping on trying to make a change? How dreadful a day must be for him ? To get insulted, scolded , humiliated whole day by everyone around him not even a ounce of love from anyone not even from his own mother yet he is fighting through all of that. Do you even know how it is survive your whole life, every single day not being able to talk to anyone? Puppet king? Watch what you say, that puppet king is trying to make a better nation everyday even if its killing him inside out. One day he will be the real king and that day our nation is gonna be better forever because he comes bearing pain so he knows."  my words also had a warning hidden to that man so he never speak of king like that anymore.

His expression was unreadable was he impressed with what i said? or felt it pointless? his face gave me a blank expression unable to read whats going on in his mind. Before he say something and i need to waste more of my time by arguing with him, I decided to leave.

"I know you have lots to say but i have work so i am taking my leave" I picked up my water poring bucket and started walking quickly but i do can feel his gaze over me as i was walking. I don't know why always I end up meeting all sort of weirdos.