22| Terrible times

NOAH

We were all still celebrating, as Ella came over. "Kailani, I have something of yours." She said.

"What, cause it's definitely not my win." She said, as my arm was wrapped around her.

Ella held up Kai's ankle brace, and all of our jaws dropped.

"It was you? You took her brace?" Giselle said. "I thought if you didn't have your young but talented dancer you would loose. Look like she pushed through." Ella said.

"Give me that." Riley said snatching it out of Ella's hand.

"I can't believe you. You're-" Kai said as she walked towards Ella, but falling down half way.

"Kai, Kai, are you okay?" Ms. Kate said, as we all crouched down around kai.

"My ankle, Ms. Kate, my ankle. I can't...it feels gone!" Kai said, as she started to cry.

"Okay we need to get you to a doctor." Ms. Kate said.

"I got her." I said, immediately going over and picking her up and then following Ms. Kate.

-

The doctor put his hand on Kai's elevated ankle, which he had checked.

"Does this hurt?" He asked, pressing on it. Kai shook her head no.

"How about this." The doctor said touching a bit farther down. "Not at all."

I could tell Kai was lying, her eyes squinted when she talked, which she always does when she's lying.

"She seems to be fine. It probably just spased because of the past injury." The doctor said, closing up his stuff.

"Just keep icing it, until you have to dance." He said handing her a new ice pack.

"Thank you sir." Ms. Kate said nodding to the man as he left.

"Okay Riley, Noah go rehearse with everyone. I'm going to go inform your parents Kai." Ms. Kate said leaving, and so did Riley.

I waited til I knew they were gone and walked closer to Kai.

"I know you're lying." I said to her. "I'm not, I'm fine now." Kai said, putting the ice on her ankle.

I put pressure using my fist on her ankle, which I didn't want to do.

"Ow!"

"See. Kai it isn't safe for you to dance." I said very worried.

"Noah, One last dance. I will be perfectly fine." She said to me.

"Kai-"

"We've both worked so hard to get here. I'm not just going to give up my chance to be in a final dance, at internationals with A-troupe. I'm not just gonna quit."

"Kai if you do this, you might not be able to audition for A-troupe next dance season." I said.

"I know. But I'll rather miss out on that, than miss this. I can be on A-troupe again, dance at regionals again, but I can't dance with these people again, especially at internationals."

I realized she was right, as much as I wanted to bring up our plan to go to Regionals, Nationals, and Internationals together, she was right.

"Fine you're right, but please. Don't dance too hard."

"You know I can't do that. Now, go rehearse." She said to me.

"Only because you said so." I said, kissing Kai's forehead and then leaving.

-

I went over to everyone else, and Ms. Kate walked in at the same time.

"Noah, please get quickly warmed up. But is everyone warm. Today is the big day."

"It sure is a big day." Lucien said walking onto the stage.

He should not be here, "Excuse me what are you doing here, this is a closed rehearsal."

"Yeah...not for an absolute dance internationals judge it isn't." Lucien said looking around the stage.

All of us looked at him in shock, he couldn't be a judge.

He would give us the lowest score possible, and then we would loose immediately.