The Yellow Dress

I rush back across the street to the shop, trying not to spill the drinks or drop the bag of food. I manage to open the door and make my way to the back counter to hand Ember his portion; however he is not behind the counter. I sit the bag down with both drinks and head to the back part of the shop. Noises stop me in my tracks. I hear a commotion and debate if I should keep going. But what if he is in trouble; what if he is getting roughed up by the men in the black suits? I just know they are going to be coming back.

I turn to go back up front but then I hear something break. I can't tell if something fell or if it was thrown. I end up turning back around and going on to the back to make sure that everything is ok. The moment I see him, my jaw nearly hits the floor. I tried not to gasp but it was way too late for that. Ember is half naked with a girl, pressed up into the shelf. I happen to look down and glass is shattered on the floor. Looks like one of the pieces that he had worked on earlier in the week. Her eyes lock with mine and she lets out a squeal and pulls him closer to her so that I can't see her naked body. Ember quickly looks over at me and says a few swear words that normally don't come out of his mouth. The only thing I can do is cover my mouth with my hand and leave the room as quickly as possible.

Five minutes later he comes to the front part and his cheeks are a tad red from embarrassment. "I uh...look just so you know Brea and I have been seeing each other for several months. I wasn't expecting her to come to the shop today. Please don't tell ma and pa. Pa wouldn't like that I had a girl up in here and not attending the shop."

"I won't say anything." And I knew I never would, but this might be just the thing that I could always have on him.

His eyes light up a little while the side of his mouth grins upward. "Whew...you're the best."

"So you like this girl. I mean it looked a little serious." I hand him his drink.

"Brea is amazing. I just don't know how ma and pa would like her since she's not American or Indian." He takes a long sip of his drink.

I watch him for a few seconds letting those words sink in. He was so right; they would never approve of her. A part of me felt bad for him because in those few moments I could tell that he really had feelings for her and I worried that it would actually break his heart if he couldn't be with her. So maybe I will keep this secret to the grave. "I won't say anything, but you know one day you are going to have to you know, especially if it keeps going the way it's going."

"I know and I will when the time is right; if the time is every right that is."

About that time the front door opens and we both look up at the same time. Two men come in and by the way they are dressed, I know that they are here for some of the pieces. I grab my stuff and head towards the back. I thought Brea would still be back here, but I guess she went out the back door to leave. I don't blame her; I would have done the same thing. Hell, I would have been horrified if I got caught practically naked with a guy. I sit down to attempt to finish off the burger, but Ember walks in with a look on his face.

"Look you need to leave for a little while. They are coming back here to look at the stuff and I don't want you to get involved in any of this." He points to the back door. "Just go looking around or something alright. Come back in about an hour or so."

I glare back at him like he has lost his mind. "An hour or so, are you serious."

He hands me my drink and rushes me towards the back door. "Yes, I am being serious right now. Just go alright. Don't talk to anyone and keep to yourself." I find myself in the back lot and suddenly the door shuts in my face. Well then. Guess I have some time to look around. I just hope that Ember is going to be alright. I haven't really met the guys. Every time they come to the shop, I find things to do. Ember makes sure that they stayed away from me and me away from them. Today was just different. He has never asked me to leave the shop though.