Platform Nine And Three Quarters

" I love you my dear!" Whispered my mum just before she engulfed me in her arms. She smelt of sweet lavender and drying paint. Like usual the scratchy knit of her sweater imprinted nonsense scribbles on my face. My Mum was one of the best and most aggressive huggers I know. She somehow always manages to suck all of you into her grasp.  Making you feel like the most important thing in that very moment. 

" I love you too mum, but your child needs air!" I peeped as my lungs began to collapse. My Mum then let go of me, repeating sorry's as she stepped back. At that moment I got a good look at my family. It consisted of my Mum, my Dad, and my little sister Daisy. Daisy is only six but still somehow managed to fit into my shoes, and believe me she never lets me forget that fact. However, starting today she can't steal my shoes anymore. Because today I start a new life, I never knew existed. Turns out that there is such a thing as wizards and witches, and not just that they exist, but they have their own society, government, medical system, and schools. For some reason however they decide not to tell you that "Hey you have magical abilities." until well into grade school. Fifth year to be exact. Your parents scream in disbelief for a little bit then they decide to send you to school. You get books, a wand and then they tell you to go to a platform that you only moments ago were convinced doesn't exist. But really I didn't care because everything I could have ever hoped for was real.

A sharp train whistle split the empty air. I smiled at my family and leaped into the familiar comfort their arms. Daisy jumped up on her tip tows to be tall enough to be in the hug.  We all just held each other for as long as we could before my Dad pulled away and began to shoo me towards the platform. " We've held her up long enough, she'll miss her train if we stand here any longer." Dad spoke with his calm voice. I would miss his voice the most, but my family had reassured me that they would write to me as much as they could. I was just about to leave when I feel a tug on my dress. I looked down and it was my little sister looking at me with sad eyes. I take her hands and bend down to her hight. " Whats wrong Babes?" I ask Daisy. She pushes out her bottom lip so that she looked like a duck.  

" You can't go." She spoke in a soft little voice. I gave her a bitter sweet smile. 

" And why is that little one?" Daisy looks down and sways side to side. 

" Because I will be lonely, and I don't want to be alone." those simple words gave me the best idea in the world.   I swiftly stood up and popped open my top trunk. I threw the cloths side to side to reveal a small soft pink bunny with a yellow bow. I help it in my hands and brushed my finger against her little face. I then shut my trunk and turned to Daisy. 

" I want you to have LuLu." I extended my hand out towards her as she picked up the bunny. " You take pictures with her and send all of your adventures to me in your letters. Ok?" Daisy hugged the bunny close to her chest and smiled.  With that I gave my family one last goodbye before I grasped the cold handlebars of my trolley. I took a deep breath as I bolted head first into a brick wall.

The sudden strong smell of smoke overtook my senses. Another sharp whistle shot my eyes open. Lying just ahead of me was a candy apple red train. Brilliant gold lines shot through the red like lightning. Smoke stacks almost a mile high extended from their jet black containers. At the very top of the train were the simple words, Hogwarts Express. My heart almost bursts out of my chest. This is every kid's dream. To have magic. Just to imagine this train will take me to a school where there are other kids just like me. A place where I feel at home. Don't get me wrong I love my family and our quaint little part of the world, but I always felt like there was something more to it all. And this is what was missing. This new grand adventure.

I pushed my trolley forward over the stone that made the cart rattle. My purple trunk bounced up and down as I went over pebbles and bumps.  I was surrounded by all different kinds of people dressed in fancy robes or hats. To be honest it made my yellow sundress and pink tights look quite out of place.  Even if I am underdressed I can guarantee I was the most colourfully dressed on that entire platform. I spotted a man all dressed in black hanging off of the steps of the third train car. He then gave a swift shout. " All aboard. The Hogwarts Express leaves in ten minutes!"   I suppose my Dad was right about me being late if I stayed with them any longer. 

I ran up to the man and he smiled at me. " How are you doing little one?" He asks in a warm tone. 

" Quite well thank you." I then began to lift my trunk up the steal stairway that lead to the opening of the train car but the man interrupted me. 

" Don't worry about your luggage Little one I'll get it on the train. You just get a seat." I smiled up at him and thanked him for his kindness. He gave me a nod of his black hat. I ran my hand along the rail to make sure I did not fall onto the train tracks. When I made it to the train car I was met with rows and rows of compartments, but I immediately threw myself into the first compartment to my left.

 I slid open the door to be met with a boy that looked to be my age. He had well combed dark drown hair and wore a blue sweater.  He looked up at me and gave me a shy smile. I obviously smiled back and asked. " Is this seat taken?" He shakes his head and responds with muffled no's. I took a seat across from him and set my bag next to me. I smoothed my dress asked " Whats your name?" 

" Neville, Neville Longbottom." He replied.