Chapter 2

Professor Snape stands in front of Harry, his eyes narrowing in anger as he stares down at the young wizard, a stern expression on his face as he begins to speak, crouching down until his face is at eye level with the boy's, and Harry can almost feel the weight of his gaze upon him.

"Potter," he says in that familiar, menacing tone that everyone is all too familiar with. "What did I tell you about going past the wards?"

"You-you told me not to—sir."

"And yet you went and did it anyway." Professor Snape's voice is calm and even, but Harry can feel the anger simmering just beneath the surface as Snape takes a step back. He is the type who doesn't need to shout or lose his temper to be terrifying—his soft voice and cold glare are more than enough.

"What do you possibly have to say for yourself, Potter?"

"I'm sorry—I didn't realize I had gone over the wards, I swear! I guess I was too distracted..."

Professor Snape's eyes narrow even further as Harry stammers out an apology. He interrupts him, "Did you eat?"

"Um—yes?"

A long moment of silence passes as Snape stares at Harry, his gaze intense. And then, without warning, his face breaks out into an evil grin, and his lips curl up into a devilish smirk as he says in a low, threatening voice, "You lied to me. Did you think I wouldn't notice? You really are as stupid as people say."

"I'm not lying! And I'm not stupid!" Harry yells.

Snape's eyes narrow once more, and the air in the room suddenly becomes heavier.

"I thought I told you not to yell at me," he says in that calm, dangerous voice, his smile turning into a scowl.

"Sorry sir."

There's another long, heavy silence, and then Professor Snape speaks again, his voice even quieter and more threatening. "You broke three of my most important rules, Potter. You put yourself in danger, you lied to me, and you threw your food away. For that, you're grounded." A chill runs down Harry's spine at the sound of those words—Wood wanted to train the whole team the next day because the quidditch match Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw was coming up.

"I did eat! Ask Winky!" He protested, this was probably the best shot he had at this if he could talk his way out of this one.

"I do not need to. She told me everything I needed to know when I came in."

"So she saw—?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

They stare at each other for a moment before Snape sighs as he kneels in front of Harry once more. "Potter...Why did you go through all that to cover it up? You know I'm never angry at you when you don't finish your food." He asks gently, his face just inches from his.

"I don't know, sir. I wasn't feeling very well at lunch and I thought I would throw up if I ate more or something. But I did eat a big breakfast."

"Potter," Snape interrupts him in a surprisingly calm voice, "I do not care if you are not feeling well, you have to be honest with me. Meaning that throwing your lunch and dinner in the trash is not the answer. You should've told Winky, she would've put it aside for a later time."

"I'm sorry."

Snape sighs, "You broke my rules, Potter. You're grounded, sorry or not."

"Sir, please! Can't you leave me off with a warning?"

Professor Snape's eyes narrow even further as Harry pleads, and his face contorts into a scowl. "A warning?" he asks incredulously.

"You think you deserve to be let off with a warning after what you've done? You broke three of my most important rules, Potter--you have proven yourself to be irresponsible and untrustworthy. A warning will not suffice." His words hang in the air for a moment, and Harry can feel the weight of his anger pressing down on him. It's clear that he had no way of talking himself out of this one.