The Truth

[3rd Person POV]

The Miner let out a small sigh as he flipped through one of the books he had bought from a store down the street. It was a ponderous read, all about the laws of Orario. Important but boring. He needed to know the laws of this city so that he could avoid breaking them or, rather, so that he knew how best to avoid getting caught and what laws he should never even contemplate breaking.

He leaned back in his chair. It might surprise anyone who knew his past that a former troublemaker would be worried about the law but back in Minecraft, there had been a few laws that even the Miner would never dare break. It was the same here. He'd already come across a few laws that he would not dare break. Like the one he had just read about killing a god's mortal form.

Apparently, the gods of this world took on physical, mortal forms when they descended into the mortal plane. While in the mortal world, they were forbidden from using their arcanum without permission from an assembly of gods. There were a few things they could do without permission, and he was sure there were a few things they could get away with without being detected but overall, it was pretty strict. As were the laws about killing their mortal form. Since the gods of this world couldn't use their powers, they weren't that hard to kill but, when they died, they were sent back to the heavens in a giant pillar of golden light. Not exactly stealthy.

According to this book, no god had ever been killed without the culprit being caught with overwhelming evidence. And the punishment? Yikes. If a mortal killed a god, their punishment was for the other gods to essentially erase the mortal's soul from existence one atom at a time. It sounded excruciating and apparently took days. Even gods weren't exempt from that law. If a god killed another god, their punishment was losing all their money, losing their Familia, and being sent back to heaven permanently.

The Miner looked up from his book to stare at the door. Bella was later getting back than usual. On most days, by this time, she'd have dragged herself inside and flopped down on her bed. The Miner would spend the next hour or so consoling him and patting her head before they had dinner and went to bed.

Bella's resolve the last two weeks had been impressive, but he could see it starting to crack. She'd been unfortunately right about the Familia's of Orario judging potential new members on appearance instead of potential. Bella still hadn't been able to even meet with a god. She kept getting turned away by the guards.

The Miner sighed again. He'd wait another week and if Bella still hadn't found a Familia, then the Miner would go with him to one of the larger Familia's. Probably Loki. If they judged by appearance, he knew they wouldn't reject him. He'd just insist they let the girl in too. He could be persuasive when he wanted to be.

The Miner was torn from his thoughts by the sound of pounding feet on the stairs, followed by the door being blown open by a frantic Bella, who appeared to be followed by another girl behind her.

Bella: Steve-kun! I did it! I found a Familia to join!"

Steve: *smile* Well done, Bella. Though, maybe you should introduce your friend first?

The Miner looked at the woman in the white dress. No, he realized suddenly. This was no woman. She was a goddess, and she was staring at him with a mix of wonder and horror. That was…interesting.

Oblivious to the thoughts of both the Miner and the goddess, Bella continued on.

Bella: Right, sorry. This is goddess Hestia. She hasn't been in the lower word long and is looking to start a Familia and asked if I'd like to be the first member. I told her about you and brought her here to meet you.