FORTY - PINKY PROMISE

"Are you sure you want to have him tonight? Please don't feel like you have to."

Mila was fixing the buttons on her son's pyjamas as Peter flicked off the main lights in his bedroom, leaving two bedside lamps to make the room glow yellow.

He turned on the television and perched on the edge of the bed while Tristan sat perfectly still for his mother as she combed his hair, letting her rub some gentle moisturiser into his skin without making a fuss.

"I want to, honestly. We'll watch a movie, isn't that right Tris?"

"Yeah!" Tristan shouted as he climbed into bed, wriggling beneath the covers with Rocket next to him, waiting patiently for Peter to join him.

The child had been asking persistently when he could have a sleepover with Peter again, but that night was the first time that the teenager had felt up to it. Mila was still worried that he was taking Tristan for the night because he felt obliged, but as she watched a smile warm his red cheeks, she knew that both boys needed it more than she'd realised.

"He usually falls asleep within thirty minutes anyway." Peter said with a laugh, rolling his eyes.

Over the past couple of weeks, Peter had slowly started to come to terms with his loss. The funeral was hard and the aftermath of it even harder, breaking him so bad that he didn't leave his room for an entire day.

Since then, though, each day Peter seemed a little bit brighter than the day before. School had started again and he began spending more time with his friends after classes ended, returning home with a hint of a smile instead of red eyes and a frown.

Mila made sure to keep an eye on him, always making sure he was never alone unless he wanted to be, and always offering to talk if he needed to get things off his chest.

Tony had taken a different approach of carrying on like nothing had happened and while that worked to some degree, Mila knew that Peter's heart was different to Tony's, and that everybody healed in different ways. She made it her responsibility to comfort him when he needed it, wanting him to never feel a void in the love he was given.

Mila walked round to the other side of the bed where her son was laying with the duvet pulled up under his chin, an excited yet tired smile on his face while he watched Peter flick through the movie options on the TV.

"You be a good boy for Peter, OK?"

"Yes, Mommy."

Mila tilted her head with soft eyes, leaning over and giving her son a kiss, feeling his small arms wrap around her neck tightly.

"Love you, sunshine. Sweet dreams."

"Love you too, Mommy."

Peter pulled the curtains closed after pausing a Superman movie on the TV, grabbing the glass of water from his bedside table and taking a gulp.

Wandering back over to him, Mila placed a hand on Peter's forearm, "If he's any trouble, please just come and tell me. I want you to get some proper rest, alright?"

Peter smiled at her, nodding once before feeling the warmth of her giving him a tight hug. He returned the embrace, taking a moment to close his eyes as bask in the sensation of feeling cared for.

"Sure. Thanks, Mila. Goodnight."

Mila's hand squeezed his own as she gave him a small kiss on the cheek, "Goodnight, Peter."

After closing the door and listening to mindless muffled chatter fade away while she walked towards the elevators, Mila headed to the floor above to find Tony.