SIXTY - A REUNION

It was the end of February when Tony found himself back in New York for the first time in a few months. He thought his return to the city might spark something in him, bring home sickness to the surface or subconsciously acknowledge a deep-rooted seed of discontent, though stepping foot back inside his old home did nothing of the sort.

Tony still loved New York City and he always would, but as he became once again immersed in the sights and sounds of the place, it reinforced inside of him just how much he loved the peace and tranquility that life on the outskirts of Chicago gave him.

He thrived being busy and seeing familiar faces, being surrounded by technology that had been his only purpose for so long before, but he thrived just as much teaching Tristan how to hit a baseball and throw a football, cook dinner for his family and walk through the streets of a small town on a Sunday without seeing another soul.

Regardless, Tony had a huge smile on his face that evening as he socialised with his colleagues and old friends, drinking the night away with music playing and for the first time ever, a girl he loved by his side.

After solace was given to planet earth last year, The Avengers had taken a well deserved break. They returned back to their family and friends, travelled to the far corners of the world and lived in tranquility while they could, taking time for themselves. It was Steve's idea to get everybody back together in the wake of the new year and Tony was eager to accept, though only wanted to go if his family were willing to go with him.

It wasn't a question that needed asking in hindsight, since it seemed like anywhere Tony went, Tristan followed. Tony could've walked endlessly around the globe and Tristan would've followed without thinking twice, always wanting to be with his father if he could, constantly asking him questions about his work and asking him to teach him new things, curious about the world in the most heartwarmingly similar way that Tony was.

It took no convincing for Mila to agree, either, since she had also missed the people that had become part of her daily routine when she lived in the Tower, not seeing any of them for an unforgiving amount of time since returning to Chicago.

And so she was happy when she was handed her second glass of champagne that evening, sitting on a barstool beside Clint who was telling Mila all about his three children with stars in his eyes and pride in his voice, something that resonated with her when she glanced across the room and saw Peter conversing confidently with his peers, a beer in his hand.

"And Nathaniel is starting school this year, can you believe that? I can't get over how quickly they grow up, it feels like he was born just yesterday."

Mila laughed lightly, "I know, I can't believe I have a three year old now. I sometimes forget he's not so little anymore when he can reach things without asking for help or brushes his teeth without being reminded. As hard as it was when he was small, it passed by in the blink of an eye."

Clint smiled warmly at her, "I bet having a big brother has made him grow up a lot faster, they always want to be just like their older siblings."

"Tell me about it," Mila rolled her eyes and sipped her champagne, "Tristan never takes off that damn Spider-Man suit, I catch him jumping from chairs and the couch pretending to shoot webs from his wrists, the child is crazy."

Tristan had always been a ball of energy but his excitement for life and discovering new things had seemed to multiply infinitely since gaining a sibling. He never seemed too tired to do anything, showing as much interest in Peter as he did in Tony, both of them having their own little shadow always on their heels.

"You taking care of my girl, Barton?"

Tony sauntered over to the bar, resting an arm across Mila's shoulder and pressing a kiss to her cheek, folding one foot over the other ankle as he held a champagne flute delicately between his finger and thumb, a silver signet ring catching the light.